16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SxS info needed for rookie
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I second the Merkel idea....lot of gun for the money and you will never wear it out. The Citoris are also a very good choice. No comparison to the Merkels, but not as expensive either. I too would recommend handling various guns prior to purchasing. Poor fit can ruin your experience with even the best gun.

I don't agree on the scrimping on the gun/going on a vacation thing......blow all the $ on the gun! Wink

Most importantly, thank you for your service and safe trip home. Pay no attention to the vocal minority.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the best value in SXS "bird guns" today are English 12ga. guns in 2 1/2" chamber. They truely are the equilivant of the american 16 ga. Plus you get all the benefits of the English double, being, straight grip, splinter forearm, light weight, double triggers and superb balance. I was fortunate to be able to pick up an English 16 in great shape about a year ago, however, there's no doubt I paid a premium for the gauge and I think that premium is bigger today.

I kind of have a hankering to look at a Merkel 16 as the German guns are stout for hell! But I think I have learned that trying to stuff more than 1 oz. of shot down a 16 bore defeats the purpose a little, particularily if the gun weighs less than 7 lbs.

I thought the over unders were the do all be all until I got my hands on a lively SXS!

Take your time, handle as many guns as you can and enjoy the journey!

God bless you and your compadres and please accept my thanks for the work you are doing!

Matt
uplandshooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Ermadear55,

I have one small piece of advice. A shotgun is a matter of "feel". Regardless of barrel confugurations, pumps or autos etc.. When you return from overseas I suuggest you go to a local skeet or sporting clay range in uniform. Let the shooters know your difficulty making a decision on a new gun. I expect that everone there will give you the opportunity to shoot their guns. Most likely that will give you some of their hand loads to shoot with. After you have handled 20 or 30 you will know what you like and don't like. You will likely be suprised what gun you shoot best. Remember it's the how many targets break or birds drop not how it looks in a gun cabinet that make a gun a shooter.

My two cents
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

....you have enough to get a really nice side by side, of English, American or Continental manufacture......I think you'd pay too much for a new gun, that the best buys are going to be second hand ones. I agree with the Mr Lowe......go with your heart, and shoot as many guns as you can before you buy (a bunch of guys said that, and I agree).......I have had them all over the years....pumps, autos, O/U's (and still do), but the best for me are the side by's, and Mr. Lowe spelled it out quite succinctly where you will get the best bang for your buck if you choose to go down that lane........in my opinion.....thank you for what you are doing for us, we really appreciate it,

Duncan Hill

ermadear55
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 am  Reply with quote

Greetings all 16ers.

I do not have time to read all of these since we share 8 puters amongst over 600 of us here at Camp Hope in Baghdad. But R&R is coming soon and I will get to them all in a few days. All I can say is this isn't going to be any quick decision and I appreciate all your help. Some of the best advice I got was from 16gg (sorry Hun) who convinced me to buy one of the Bill Hicks & Co Citoris. I will be shooting it next week. My son and daughter have both shot and hunted with it and love it. I am quite sure I will too. Please hold the produce again but I just may have to head east and hunt with him Shocked .

I will be back in touch when I get through them all. Surprised I didn't hear from Fin. Don't worry about Lucky my friend. Worst she has done is lick the ice cream man into a state of super sliminess so he had a hard time openning the door of his truck.

I appreciate the fun and your friendship and support over here.

ed55
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Look and you will find a good quality Merkel 1620. I just purchased a brand new one for $3550 so the used ones are out there in your price range. Especially if you find a 47E sitting around.

Good strong guns that will last forever and unless the gun has been totally abused, you will have no problem with a used one.

As far as the Citoris, I have a Feather version. Nice gun and it used to be my go to upland gun until I found the way 2 barrels are suppose to sit. SxS Wink
But I do still use it for sporting clays and trap. Very Happy

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

well ed, since you already got the citori, IF we take you uplanding, your punishment will be to listen to sprocket tell tales of duck shooting and being his dads dog, (and whaching him try to "get on his game"). that should be enough to make you get rid of it, and in a hurry.