16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Roster's ridiculous statement in Shooting Sportsman
Alan_Hicks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Having worked for Intermedia Outdoors in the past (the magazine company that publishes Guns & Ammo among others), I can definitively say that you shouldn't trust any magazine. They are wholly subservient to their advertisers. The business plan of these companies is to please their advertisers so they'll continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money for full page spreads. Everything else takes a back seat to this priority.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I went back to my records and found these two loads. Both were tested, exact same components. One was 2 3/4" and fold crimped the other cut to 2 1/2" and roll crimped.

Federal 16ga. paper basewad hull
Federal 209A
20.0 Grains Unique
B & P Z2M16 wad
1 oz. lead shot

2 3/4" OAL Fold crimp

1,248 FPS - 10,200 PSI

2 1/2" OAL Roll crimp

1,238 FPS - 9,290 PSI

Crazywader
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by Crazywader on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crazywader
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Years ago I had poked around for an answer to a pressure question but never came across an explanation. So I sent Tom an email asking him if there was any advantage to choosing the lower of two pressures associated with same muzzle velocity of a specific load (I assumed given the option, the lower of the two pressures might save some wear and tear on a hull). Little did I realize then that I could pick up the phone and call the powder companies and they'd chat with you until you both ran out of things to talk about.

He replied with a snarky remark and then went on to tell me about a miscalculated percent (I had only compared two pressures - one being a fraction of another) and referenced his own article he posted years ago to help me with my math. His comment stung. I was reaching out to someone who I thought was a technical subject matter expert and respected within the community. I never expected him to be rude - never mind not have any idea of the answer but to go on and trivialize my question.

Thanks everyone for posting your experience with him. After all these years, I feel somewhat redeemed.