16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull Trimmer
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:07 am  Reply with quote

Hadn't heard anything regarding Byrdog still producing trimmers so thought I'd help the Ukrainian economy a tiny tiny bit, took a month to get here but worth the wait. Neat design, the adjustable/replaceable blade is held in place via an Allen set screw and split dowel, might take a little effort finding a blade if it ever breaks but imagine some version of an Exacto would work, could easily be adapted to chuck in a drill need be. Similar to Byrdog's, I really like the internal referenced depth/length cut adjustment, helps with some very tight SD & EV numbers in the tested reloads.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275351835401?var=575687854743

One criticism; the 0.670" main body fits a little snug in RGL's, going to circle back with the maker and suggest turning a couple few more thou off. I'll chuck this one in the lathe and skinny it up a bit. Very pleased with purchase.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I got one of these trimmers and it works really well. It is too tight for the Rems so I’ll need to turn it a bit. Are you modifying yours to use it with a drill? If so how are you doing that? Thanks Jim

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Turned the main body to 0.665" works perfectly in Rems & Feds. Responded to the maker with the modification, they appreciated the input.

Direct from the maker, they suggested using an M6 threaded fastener (they depicted an Allen head cap screw) in the same threaded hole as the blade clamp screw. Insert, trim off the head, chuck in drill, good to go. I have not done this as it will be for low volume hunting ammo so hand powered will suit my throughput.

If I were to, I'd rather a shoulder bolt (w/trimmed head) to get more interface engagement and allow more of a bite for the drill chuck, M6 alone as a shank/mandrel seems kinda skinny IMO.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m6/

Asked about a 10ga version and heard crickets chirping, damn tinnitus, oh well, Byrdog's creation with a section of 16ga RGL hull affixed + longer depth adjust screw works wonders in a 10ga hull.

FWIW; they shared that the blade is from a pencil sharpener and his has been in service for a bunch of years no blade break or dull/change.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

Read over on Shotgun World that he passed away.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 am  Reply with quote

OW , that's a possibility - have had no reply at his # in over a yr . The Cliff Russel we had an obit for here was not the same one , but haven't been able to get our guy .