16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz target loads
probie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

"hello all. i have been pouring all the sites to also find data for the CB0078 wads too.
i dont have internatl powder, and cant locate any either. was hoping to find data for the win and herters cheddite hulls with this wad. "

I've noticed this also, and when i found some loads, or as suggested here by Wyo, I don't have Int or GD. I'm not sure if I read it here or over on SW, but I know i've seen it. It was mentioned that the cb78 is more for a 1oz load while the CB100 is used for
1 1/8 loads. WAS/IS this correct? As an experiment i've also "flared the bottom" of a CB to try in a Euro hull, as these recipes were listed in the old 24hr spreadsheets to be usable. I know its been said that the CBs are not the proper wad in a Euro. Yet, Hod & others show its use in them. So again, without any further substitutions and without approaching max loads, can the CB78 be used in a Euro hull or WCF/Rem hull in a 1oz load ?
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure why you guys' waste time fiddling with flaring those wads. There are far better choices for 7/8oz loads. Someone please explain the madness. This is just my opinion of course.
probie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

"There are far better choices for 7/8oz loads"

DRs are scarce as hen's teeth.

Agree with you , not arguing at all. But question, and for validity of the statement i found, can the Cb78 be used in a WINCF or REM in either a 7/8 OR 1oz load ?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Ken,

The CB0100-16 wad is a clone of the WAA-16 wad and can be used in the Winchester CF and the current Remington RGL (Remington Game Load) hull for 1 oz. loads.

The CB0078-16 wad is perfect in those same hulls for 7/8 oz. loads.

The above wads and hulls work together perfectly without any messing around, with just about any powder, you would want to use with those payloads.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Hammer bill , what is your method for flaring the CB wads ?

Just put some on a coffee cup warmer standing the wads on the powder ogive standing up. I rotate one at a time when I pick one up by replacing a new one on the same time. Then put you thumb inside the wad and press down to flare the cup over a round object. I use a 2" ball hitch that works fine. If the wad is cold the flare will retract some. You only need ..004 overall to make a good seal in a straight wall hull.
It's not as time consuming as it sounds.
If you want I can send some pictures by message. I could never get one to go on the forum. Bill
probie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Probe: this is what I've found. The CB 078 wad is perfect for 1 oz. loads in 2 3/4" euro and Fed hulls. It is perfect for 7/8 oz. loads in Rem or Win CF hulls. I've done plenty of both. Yes, I pre flare the wads for euro hulls. It's a solution I came up with as soon as I started loading CB wads in 16 ga.

Maximum Smoke: you have plenty of 800-X and 1250? Good. Send them my way. I'll trade you a hamburger. Just kidding. I'll probably have a memorial service for my last 800-X container when it becomes empty. But on a more serious note, here is data I have handy at the moment. I might have more in the reloading room, but that's 100 yards away right now.

2 3/4" Fed hull
7/8 oz. lead
SG16 wad
23.5 gr. 800-X
Win 209
1,280 fps
7,500 psi

2 1/2" Cheddite hull
7/8 oz. lead
SG16 wad
Chedd 209
16.8 gr SOLO 1250
1,150 fps
8,050 psi

Same hull, shot charge, wad, and primer but more powder:
19.2 gr. SOLO 1250
1,270 fps
10,000 psi

Last edited by WyoChukar on Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Wyochukar,

You have Solo 1250?.....you lucky dog. I haven't seen any of that since the early 2000's.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

The cost difference between the SG16 and CB wads is $2 per 500. That is .004 cents each and 10 cents per box. $1 a flat.

I don't shoot as much in the winter as the summer and only shoot ~100 rounds a week in the winter. Drive 3 hours round trip at 16 mpg in the truck and pay $13 a round but it is HEATED! To save 40 cents does not even compute to me fooling around with a wad not designed for straight wall hulls.

Then again I'm old school and when straight walled hulls started showing up in the 12 and 20 those that reload for them found out pretty quickly that you use the correct wad for the hull, never mix them. In the 12 and 20 I only reload STS\Nitros and AA. And have thousands of 20 ga. AA CF hulls yet that I hoard and guard.

No way am I going to reload those Eurotrash straight walled hulls. Wait a minute, except for the RGL that is all we can get anymore for the 16. I'm still sticking with the straight wad in the straight wall hull concept. Seen way too many problems with people mixing them.

Like Mark has said many times Precision Reloading has data available for the 16 if you ask for it. A strange thing looking at that data is that the CB wads develop more than 500 psi in a Ched hull than a SG16. And 1K more in a Federal hull. That is the opposite of what normally happens and could be a good thing. Or not. See the other thread I posted in that was started by Jim.

Uplander44 wrote:
gspbirdguy wrote:
hello all. i have been pouring all the sites to also find data for the CB0078 wads too.
i dont have internatl powder, and cant locate any either. was hoping to find data for the win and herters cheddite hulls with this wad. im almost out of the DR-16 wads i have am i am scrambling to obtain a reliable source for the next 7/8 sure thing. thanks matt k

Matt, I’m new to loading 16 gauge but from what I read the CB wads only really work with Rem/Win hulls and will cause migration in anything else.

On a side note, I ordered my wads from Recobs after shopping around for the best price. While they price the wads the best, their shipping was the highest making it about the same as everywhere else if not a little more. Was pleasantly surprised to get a note from them when my order shipped that the final postage was nearly half what I was quoted in my online order and my charges were readjusted. Stand up company, will be doing more business with them!

I've been dealing with Jeff and Karen at Recobs since I moved to Mn. 25 years ago. Spent thousands with them LOL, they are great people.

The reason they changed your shipping cost is that you live in Spee Dee delivery area. They are half the price of other carriers. Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading also do the same.

When Kevin at Downrange finally makes another run of the DR16 he will send them to Recobs. He likes them a lot as well Very Happy

Spent the last 6 hours consolidating data I got from my test shells that I sent to Precision Reloading. Think I will go pour some scotch first it has been a month or more since I've had any. If I don't get too out of whack I'll start a new thread tonight of the $400 results that I paid for. It was well worth it. The new green cap Green Dot is HOT! Ugh.
probie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:11 am  Reply with quote

"The CB 078 wad is perfect for 1 oz. loads in 2 3/4" euro and Fed hulls. It is perfect for 7/8 oz. loads in Rem or Win CF hulls. I've done plenty of both. Yes, I pre flare the wads for euro hulls. It's a solution I came up with as soon as I started loading CB wads in 16 ga."

So it was you who i remembered made this statement; i knew i saw it somewhere. Mark set me straight with the Cbs in the CF and i'm embarrassed for not seeing that. I (will) have over 500 CFs when i get around to shooting them. I'm just saving them for now since it has become easier to get the Euro hulls. So I didn't even look to see the usage of Cbs in the Cfs. Besides, I haven't been able to find the powders being used in some of those combinations. What i did see was Cb 78s were originally not meant for the Euros, despite the fact that some data is doing just that. When i saw your statement & Mark's, its much clearer now. I was lucky with getting a case of SGs & thats what i use in the Euros, no problem. I also managed 1 bag of DRs, which is running out and want the option of continuing with 7/8 loads. So my first attempt at flaring will arrive shortly....

"A strange thing looking at that data is that the CB wads develop more than 500 psi in a Ched hull than a SG16. And 1K more in a Federal hull".

Will watch for that also & adjust load accordingly.

Thanks again all.
Uplander44
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

I loaded up about 30 rounds with the CB 7/8 oz wad and dropping between 15-15.5 grns of Int'l. I ran a few over the chrono this morning and was getting right around 1260ish, the elevated readings probably due to the tight chokes of my gun. Boy do these burn clean! I've had this caddy of Int'l for a while now but haven't really loaded anything with it until yesterday. A stark contrast to the couple of boxes of the factory Remington Game Loads I shot up last week that left flakes of powder all down my barrels and in the action.

Only problem is I couldn't hit a damn thing with them. Maybe I should have patterned a couple beforehand, but I maybe hit 10 targets out of 25 from my portable trap thrower. I am not sure what the problem was, I would have no problem smoking these with my .410. While I do admire SxSs, I don't shoot them often and only own a few. Still, I shot this gun last weekend at my range's most difficult sporting clay course and I did OK (not great, but not terrible either). The tight chokes probably don't help, but I was just off today and it was a humble reminder why the SxSs usually stay in the back of the safe! I was hoping this one would be different.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and those who messaged me data.
Uplander44
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Wondering if this International recipe could be used with a Winchester CF hull? I do see reference to a load using Unique and the 1 oz CB wad (but only dropping 7/8 oz of shot).
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of the games in trap and never felt handicap using the CB flared. I usually win my money back and maybe a little to take home. That is also back at the shootoff areas. First shooter picks the spot anywhere on the field. Many time 20 yrd behind the 27 yrd line and alway kept right up with the 12 gauge guys. 1oz and my line loads is all I use. I don't change the load for any yardage. And that's against the 1-1/4 loads . Only thing I must do the farther back I get I must shoot lowered on the target.
I only patern my gun at 13 yards just to see if my gun shot high. But I believe that's really a false indication. Depends on the wad.
Just my assumption. Only thing I do is put a filler in the bottom of the shot cup and still have shot at the very top edge of the pedals which eliminates bore scrap.
I only shoot my citori 32" on trap. Bill