16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The last 48hrs !
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Been just about 2 yrs now since we lost the Beagle . 1st time in 69yrs haven't had a dog . Been a total dog depressed freak . This wk , kids went to Myrtle for a few days and got to sit their Border Collie - Part Beagle - only the colors ! Once he got the house checked out , he jumped on me , knocked me down and licked me for an hr . 100 grit wet sand ! Did this probably 4/5 times last few days , won't get away from me more than a ft or 2 . Well behaved , house trained , sez when he wants out - all good . Losing hair like crazy! Anyway , he's always been all over me - great buds ..... Still , I don't have that need for him to stay . Still haven't gotten over the Beagle and probably never will ! See this guy every month or so , and get my licks in - still no urge for a replacement !( This guy is gun shy , so no way he's going out west !)

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Get yourself a pup. From experience, a new pup will never diminish your love or respect for a pup that has passed.

silverbowff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,
You’re a young guy, get another dog. If you aren’t up to a pup find a well started dog and give it a good hunting home. One of my buddies (77 years old, my age too) is crazier than me and just picked up a two month old pointing lab. I have two Labs and two French Brittanys. The latest F B was a fully proven adult hunter and worth every penny. He and the other F B are a dynamic duo and keep me thinking young.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

You want another dog or you wouldn’t have posted this. Life is short, shorter without a dog.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Get a dog, you're young enough to see one through their hunting years and it will keep you young too. You sound like a guy who is a real dog person and would do right by the pup. I'm 81 years old and my youngest dog is two years old and a bundle of energy. Luckily he's very steady on point, giving me time to get there and flush the birds.

Not a beagle, but he's a great bird dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeDavis,

I am almost 10 years older than you, and I have had open heart surgery, I sill have a 12 year old Ryman Setter and a 2 year old Gordon Setter, life is real short without a great dog, I recommend the purchase of another good dog, to keep you young and give meaning to your life. Unless you can no longer take care of a nice dog go purchase one.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

Oh yes, get another dog! Chester our black lab took to hunting in the field like a champ first time out at 1 yr old and never looked back. So maybe a 6 month pup, house broken and family friendly might be good combo.

Having said that, couple friends each have fine registered Labs that WON’T HUNT so first check out your candidate pup with couple of game bird wing feathers to see if he is keen on birds.

B.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with the get one crowd. At 78 and a bit Rickety I've found a good retriever to be a bigger asset now then at anytime in my life. Actually, couldn't imagine life without him. He's my constant companion and keeping my feet warm as I type.
drcook
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I agree that you need to get a dog. Your subconscious is telling you, as, the others have said, you wouldn't have posted it.

Here is my newest. I lost a Beagle and 2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback crosses at the end of 2021 due to old age.

The beagle wasn't a hunter, she was content to walk beside me mile after mile, through the woods and fields while the other beagle hunted. She was the most feminine gentle girl though and traveled with us all over.

1st pic me, 60 yrs ago.
2nd pic Daisy Mae, a female Basset we just got.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:47 am  Reply with quote

I know what you guys would say , and 1/2 of me leans that way . My other 1/2 and wifey who gets a vote(she'll be 79 soon ) sez nope ! Loved all my dogs , the Beagle 6X , but the vote is 1/2 to 1 1/2 against . Need to stay open for some traveling this summer etc - no dog sitters in sight !

bdicki
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:40 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:18 am  Reply with quote

bidicki - awesome pic !

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:42 am  Reply with quote

A dog melts your heart. They only break it one time. And that when they pass. Not like children and friends that break your heart many times through life.