16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Browning A-5 Barrel Interchangeability
weedwader
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I have my grandfathers's old A-5 16 that was made in the early 30's. It came with the 2 9/16 length chambers, and at some point (probably in the 40's) he had the chambers lengthened to take 2 3/4 shells, and the ejection port was opened up. He had two solid rib barrels, one maked 'cylinder' and the other 'full'. My qustion is will a barrel froma later model A-5 made in the 50's that came with a 2 3/4 chamber fit Grandad's gun, and can I put the cylinder barrel off of his gun on the A-5 made in the 50's with 2 3/4 inch chambers? I have the chance to buy a 50's model at a reasonable price, and it has a modified barrel, and it seems it would be great to have 3 barrels that would work on either gun. I just didn't know if Browning changed the other specs on the guns when they went to the 2 3/4 chamber after WWII. Thanks for the help.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Pleae se the thread "Britgun Sweet 16 no longer on the market" in the guns for sale forum. The bottom line is barrels from 2 9/16" chambered guns will not fit on 2 3/4" chambered guns and vice versa.

Matt
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:24 am  Reply with quote

CF is right.

The barrels and receivers made originally for 2 9/16" shells are never interchangable with their counterparts made for 2 9/16" shells.

Jeff
weedwader
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Matt.....I appreciate it. I'm really a novice to the 16 even though I now have grey hair. I live in the South, and my dad has always hunted quail with a 16 sxs, and although my Grandfather has been dead 17 years he always carried the old pre-war Auto 5 with the cylinder barrel. I hate to admit it, but I came along when the 12 ga./ 20 ga. were the 'accepted' choices......12 for ducks and 20 for quail.......but recently my dad said 'why don't you get your Grandfathers gun out of the safe and try it.....you might be surprised.' Well I did just that and have really taken a liking to it on quail. Thanks again for the reply......i thought that might be the case but I didn't know for sure. Joe
weedwader
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff.......appreciate it.