16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Modern 16 sxs with steel proof barrels
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

What does it mean to have a “steel proof” barrel? Has a special proof load with steel shot been fired through the barrel? Or merely that the barrel (and chokes?) are designed and/or guaranteed to accommodate steel shot? All of my newer guns have come with some version of the latter with exclusions for certain chokes.

B.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I checked the flats on both the Upland Gun Company RFM and my Fausti DEA 16 ga's and no fleur-de-lis marks on them. My TriStar Bristol 16 ga has a statement in the manual stating the bores are chrome lined and safe for steel, but couldn't find any specific statement one way or the other in the Fausti or the RFM manuals, just generic info about appropriate ammo meeting CIP standards.

Arrow2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am  Reply with quote

I reached out to FAIR and only the 12g and 20g is steel proofed. All barrels from the 12 to the 410 is built with the same metals but only the 12 and 20 has been tested for steel. This had me wonder does bismuth and tungsten require a steel proofed barrel? I don't mind paying the extra cost for these shells.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Arrow2013 wrote:
This had me wonder does bismuth and tungsten require a steel proofed barrel? I don't mind paying the extra cost for these shells.

Bismuth, no. Tungsten, depends. "Softer" tungsten composites like Kent TM and Nice Shot, no. TSS, Federal Heavyweight and the like, yes.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Arrow2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was planning to shoot Boss shells so a non-steel proofed barrel should work perfectly. I do wish I can have the option with steell but maybe in a few more years and have modern guns catch up lol
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

arrow2013,
The wording in the Tristar instructions for my new 16 Gauge Bristol Silver says their guns are steel compatible. It says nothing about proof testing.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Arrow2013
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I decided to reach out to FAIR and they mentioned it is possible to place a order for a 16g and have it steel proofed. Depending on the price this might be the route I go.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Arrow2013,

I understand your thinking, however it maybe over kill. Remember the Classic American guns were only tested by the company manufacturing the guns, not really proof tested by any testing house. With the new metals and the engineering of the metallurgy today your proof testing for metal maybe just added cost for a gun engineered to be more than strong enough to shoot steel shot with todays shells.
Now if you are going outside the normal specifications for modern shells, then you might have a point about proof testing a modern gun. Also remember Bismuth is softer shot and we use it already in our Classic guns, with absolutely no problems

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers