16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gun of a lifetime
jig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Will I know many of you won't consider it the gun of a lifetime, but for me it is. I just came home with a new Browning GTS Elite for 3550.00.
Its a beautifull piece in my eyes and very capable in both field and clays work. Its a new model for Browning this year and its what I've been waiting for them to come out with for awhile now. When I saw it on the Browning North America website a few days ago, I knew I had to have it.

They only make it in 12GA so far.....sorry! But I wanted this gun to be a 12GA anyway. Now my next target is a 16GA Superlite I put on layaway.
I know, Iknow, but I'm a browning guy down to my undies...they are well built clay/bird killers unequaled at the price. This guns beauty rivals the Krieghoffs it was lying next to on the rack. Browning has done a real nice job on this one and my guess is they will sell a bunch in both Elite grade and the lower grade.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

New rule here--------for every 12 ga you must purchase 2 16's to learn the errors of your ways Wink Wink Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Congrats on a fine shotgun anyhoo Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Well, if you REALLY wanted it I guess it's OK.

Congrats on your purchase. Very Happy

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Just looked that one up on the browning site, and was impressed. Looks like you got a nice gun there. Can you post pics soon? They list the weight at right over eight pounds, do you think that's right for your gun? Seems browning has moved to slimmer forarms, and away form ported barrels.. But changes I like. Not if we could just get them to do a run of superlight feathers with double triggers and oil finish.. 16ga of course!

Enjoy your new gun!

Btw, looks like you need these!

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?cat_id=309&type_id=004&value=005A&cattype=309004
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

just weighed on digital scale. It weighs exactly 8LBS.
Yeah its heavy, but I'm still young enough that its not a big problem.
And when it is, I will have a lighter gun as well.
But it will be great for sporting clays, pheasant and waterfowl.
Although I wouldnt take it out in rain, or snow.

I will have more proletariat type guns for that use.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

As for the superlight 16GA I have on lay away...do you think i could remove that finish with a heat gun? I did that once on a polurethane gloss coating on a guitar, it worked like a champ. Just heat it up and the stuff peels off like nobody's business.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Jig, I would not go there. a heat gun can overheat walnut in a real hurry. If you screw it up and the wood cracks at the wrist or near the motices, Browning won't restock it for you under warrenty.

Why not rub it down with powdered pumice and a non colloiding mineral oil on a square of felt. You can take the sheen off with #OOOO or #OOO steel wool first, Then rub the finish out so its even. It will look like an oil finish when you are done and the wood will still be protected and under warranty.
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:51 am  Reply with quote

Congrats, Jig. Powder those claybirds and grass those pheasant!

Funny enough, the Citoris don't fit me, but Browning clothes do ... so I wear 'em. Going to have to pick up a Browning .22 or a Hi-Power so I don't feel like a hypocite for wearing Browning clothes but shooting Italian shotguns. Laughing
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Most ot the clothes are likely made in the same part of the world as the guns anyway, doubt anyone would call you on it...
Best,
Ted
jig
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

You just did, if you know what i mean, and you do.

Passive aggressive are we...........yep, uh huh?
No need to explain Razz
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Truth is, I'm a big ol' boy and wear what fits and I can find on sale. Wherever they're made, a Browning XXL fits like an XXL should. Columbia, too. Hell, I doubt the Beretta clothe are made in Italy ... but if I find a good enough sale and can actually try 'em on ... what the heck.

And did Browning or I just get a jibe from a guy who shoots French guns? What's their sales pitch ... "Never fired, dropped only once"?

Seriously, guys, it's all in good fun. Glad you found one that thrills you, Jig. Bust 'em up, buddy.
jig
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, at leat Japan's an ally. Shocked we bombed them - we saved the French's ass! Confused
Whats wrong with that picture? Wink
Razz Razz Razz Razz Very Happy
Silvers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Jig, I like your new Browning. Great wood, no porting and a slimmer forend. A few months ago I bought a European Model 525 with 32" tubes for sporting. They aren't sold in the states and it had to be "imported". Very similar to your gun except yours has knockout wood. Also 8 pounds on the button. Good luck with the new Browning! Silvers