16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  N320 trial
ole_270
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

After seeing Marks posts on Vit N320 I bought some since Universal is unavailable. Finally got to run some through the Sizemaster this morning. I'm planning to use it mostly for target loads so wanted a bit lighter than what he showed with the cheddite primer and hull (1250 fps). I understand that backing off too much might get below optimum pressure for uniform velocities and clean burn. My #27 bushing threw 20.0 grains so I decided to try it. My Cheds were all loaded so went with some once fired Fiocchi hulls.

Fiocchi once fired blue hulls
Fiocchi 616 primer
20.0 N320
SG-16 21/16
1 oz 7 1/2

Crimps were great. In a real cold front, starting to drizzle so I only chronographed 2 loads. I didn't warm up the shotgun, was in a hurry.
First shot out of a cold barrel was 1191, second a few seconds later 1206.
IC choke tube in my Dickinson Estate SxS.
If the weather clears up a bit and I can find paper or cardboard, I'll try some patterns and shoot some clays.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

ole_270, you will love the stuff. I did some quick testing in the cold and that went well also. I will do more and post the actual numbers.......but that is gonna wait until hunting season closes in January.

The load that I posted, I used for Sharpies and doves using #7 shot for both and I was very happy with it.

Here's the load for those that may not have seen it.

Cheddite 2 piece plastic hull
Winchester 209 Primer
20.8 Grains Vihtavuori N320
Gualandi BRG 16/21 (SG16)
1 oz. #7 magnum shot
Crimp depth: .065"

Gualandi's data, no pressure or velocity was printed, I subbed the primer.

Average - 1223 FPS
Hi - 1231 FPS
Lo - 1220 FPS
ES - 11 FPS
SD - 4 FPS

Nightrain
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure if this is accurate, but I remember hearing most/all of the Vit powders were single-based vs most U.S. powders being double-based; since 7625, PB, 4756 were discontinued.

I've never used the Vit powders due to the extra cost, but now they are comparable to anything else available.

Load data is sparse, but I wonder if any of the Vit powders could substitute for PB or 7625 for low pressure loads.

If anyone has more info on what powders are suitable for shotgun use, I would like to know. Thanks to you both for your load data.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:59 am  Reply with quote

N320, N340, N350 and 3N37

N340 might be a decent alternative to SR7625, N320 is kinda sorta close to PB.

Here is a source that I have used for data. It is from Gualandi and there are no velocities or pressures published but the loads are within CIP standards. The velocities of the 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads I have tried are 1,225 to 1,280 FPS. I would expect the pressures are all over 9,000 PSI. The hulls used are Cheddites or something similar and the wads are Gualandi wads. I used the BRG 16/21(SG16). The loads fit perfectly. I did not try any loads using card and fiber wads.

You will have some work to do, unless someone else has had some loads tested. I don't care about the pressures so I am using the loads as published, with only a primer change to the Winchester 209 instead of the Cheddite CX2000. In the few loads I have chronographed the Winchester primer has given more consistent velocities, by a fair margin.

http://www.gualandi.it/docs/tabpolv_2013_eng.pdf

It hasn't been real cold here in ND, but I haven't had any problems with the loads down to 20 degrees F. I'll probably post some cold soaked load velocities once hunting season is over.