16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Woodcock opener in NJ last week
ROMAC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I took Reynard (The name I gave my new custom 16 gauge SXS) on it's inaugural Woodcock hunt for last Saturday's opener in New Jersey.

It performed flawlessly and I scored my first double ever on woodcock. Three of us were able to limit out in a little over 4 hours with all of us using 16 gauge Foxes. We probably had about 30+ flushes. My friend's Brittanies, Faith and Ella, had a lot of heart on a day that turned pretty warm by noon time. The birds were crafty, the foliage was still thick and the ticks were a worry but we had a great time.

We finished the day with a few sips of a cold one.

It was the perfect bookend to a week that started with me arrowing a nice 9 point the Saturday before in Chester County PA, then switching priorities to hit the first flight birds arriving in the area I hunt in NJ opening day.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Well done!
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:32 am  Reply with quote

ROMAC,

Beautiful Woodcock hunt, and real nice Buck also. Looks like you have been having some great hunts. The Woodcock are very impressive, We have had no flight here in Potter County, Pa yet, very few birds around right now the woods is extremely dry for this tie of year also. The real nice Deer you took we have here in Potter County, in fact right in my front yard of the Log cabin, we see them almost every evening.
I do limit myself to 2 Woodcock now, on any outing, my buddy Captain Denny Boyce is disappointed that I only shoot a couple, both he and his wife love eating them, me not so much. The Captain is in his upper 80's now and unable to hunt any more his legs are pretty much shot, I have been supplying his Woodcock dinners for the past few years.

Great Fox double gun I love it!

all the best,

Pine Creek/ave
L.C. Smith Man

Couple L.C. Smith Double Guns and the last Woodcock I took.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
ROMAC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

I like to eat Timberdoodle. I understand that a lot of people are not crazy about it but I like it!

Braised in olive oil and butter with salt & pepper, very simple. Served rare in the middle.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:43 am  Reply with quote

ROMAC,

Here is the funny thing, I do like Snipe, to me they taste different, lighter and the chef who prepared them for us in the New Orleans French Quarter, really knew her food business. She served two of them to each of us with some Red Potatoes & Onions. I asked for 2 more unfortunately 2 for esch was all we shot. The difference in the taste was amazing. I would trade 5 Woodcock for just 2 Snipe any time, Creole-A2Fa.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

PCD very interesting you've not been seeing any woodcock, because by all reports the flight birds have been moving though heavy and with regularity just a county or two east of Potter
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

nj gap,
The Woodcock may have arrived last night or today, unfortunately I am down in Murrysville, Pa right now. Our Wedding Anniversary is Thanksgiving day and I do not miss it for any reason, even Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Will return to the log cabin just after Thanksgiving. I was hoping I would not miss the flight, usually it comes in before I head for Murrysville, this year the flight was very late! I just arrived at our main home last night. Hope you gentlemen enjoy the Woodcock hunting.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Heston and Pine Creek Ryman Maggie Mae, in happier times, Heston is 13 years old & retired now, & Maggie Mae hunts in Gods never ending forest.