16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Light 16's
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

OldC2,
I fully understand your point, and I will add this to it. I like my 16 gauge guns to weigh right around 6.0 - 6.4 Lbs for both handling and shoot ability while Grouse & Woodcock hunting. I am not a big advocate of light 12 gauge guns, however the light G&H, probably made by Churchill, seems to be a fine gun, however I did not get to shoot it. For my Grouse hunting I pretty much demand both handling and shoot ability. Having owned many 16 Gauge double guns, only the old 1800's J.P. Sauer hand made Grouse gun, equals my Good L.C. Smith SXS double guns, for both handling and shoot ability. Yes I am am completely spoiled when it comes to my good Grouse guns, its one of the reasons most all these Turkish made 16 & 28 Gauge guns never meet my quality standards, they are just not good enough guns, and that includes the Bristol Silver & CZ Bob white guns I purchased. IMO they have a long way to go to match the American Classic double guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

The 1922 L.C. Smith 16 gauge Specialty Grade with 26" barrels and "lightweight" frame that I am very fortunate to have weighs in at 6 lbs 8.5oz.

Not what I would call a "lightweight", but it carries like a sub 6 pound gun. Something to be said for good balance...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:08 am  Reply with quote

nj gap,

Because the 16 gauge L.C. Smith guns are balanced so well and usually weigh about 6.2 -6.5lbs they handle exceptionally well. Great Grouse guns for real! You want a light Grouse gun for carrying all day long, while walking the mountains, however the gun must swing perfectly to gun Grouse. L.C. Smith 16 gauge guns are perfect for Grouse & Woodcock hunting.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 16 gauge #5 Gun, the stuff dreams are made of for Grouse & Woodcock hunters.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers