16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Looking for Polywad Spred-R inserts
Jockc
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

JTA, the ones I found online were about .75” in diameter, and 16 ga requires .5”. The shape is perfect, though.

Jockc
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen, with the help of the samples I received I went to our county library and fabricated some nearly exact copies. After some of the things said about copyright infringement I’m a bit leery about posting the design file (though, as one person pointed out, they came out in 1985, meaning that any trademark is likely long expired). I’m open to any guidance; the design file is only 40kb..

The 3D printer support person suggested we construct a design file instead of of scanning the sample I brought. As he pointed out, it was simply two columns (one wide, thin one—the disc—and one small diameter tall one—the post), and after taking all dimensions with a pair of calipers he built a design file in a couple minutes (as opposed to the half hour or more that a scan would have taken).

We then ran off some samples out of a biodegradable but fairly strong plastic (he had a wide variety of different materials there). The samples were perfect, so I asked him to run off more (and I’ve forgotten whether I specified 25 or 50). That represented several hours of printing, and I just received word they are ready. I haven’t patterned any yet or checked the weight of the copies relative to the originals.

My total out of pocket cost, based on grams of plastic used, is $1.75. Jim, Michael, I’m happy to send you some of the copies I ran off.

Let’s hear it for libraries!

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Just checking up on this older thread, did you ever load or pattern your printed inserts? Just curious how it worked out….
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:20 am  Reply with quote

I have a 3D printer. Just made a hull trimmer similar to the one on Ebay, works pretty well.

The great thing about additive manufacturing is that complexity is free, so I was easily able to add a ramp to help peel the hull trimming off and also cover the blade so if you grab onto it you won't puncture yourself:

How long is the pin on the insert? I could easily make a bunch of these, I did this one in about 10 minutes, from starting the design to finished print:

ROMAC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:38 am  Reply with quote

You can get a bag of 200 X spreader inserts from Ballistic Products for $5.99

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/X-Stream-spreader-insert-200_bag/productinfo/3220001/
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have some of those X spreader inserts from BPI, but I haven't had a chance to pattern them yet.

Anyone have any feedback on those?

Injection molding will always be cheaper than 3D printing, if the volume demand is there to support the cost of the dies. That is where the real expense comes in.