16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My 11-48
16crazy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Haven’t posted for a bit but sometime life has its ups and downs…

My up came Friday night. I walked into Scheels and did my used shotgun & closeout ammo and reloading supplies walk. However this walk was fruitful as I ended up coming home with a 16 gauge 11-48.

I used the Remington barrel code to determine that the gun was made in 1952. She is in great shape with a plain full choked barrel. The barrel is serial numbered to the receiver. Lots of blue and finish left. The forearm has a small crack on the upper left hand side about where your palm would be. The crack has been repaired.

I know Remington started using a smaller receiver in about 1954 but the gun weighs only 6.5 pounds.

Now for the Good/ Bad News

Bad- It had been used as a scoped slug gun. Somebody mounted that scope base on the left hand corner side of the receiver. The mount was then at an angle to the top of the receiver. Also the inside was as dirty as you would expect a slug gun to be if it had not been cleaned in 20 years. I removed the mount and am in the process of finding some blank screws to fill the holes. In addition I am cleaning the old gal as we speak

Good news – Price tag $99. I haven’t bought a gun with $20 bills in a LONG time.

I am happy and plan to shoot it soon.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

You'll enjoy it, crazy. I found one for about $150 a while back (without the scope mount holes), and my son never lets me shoot it.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

You guys make me feel bad. Crying or Very sad I found Scheels in Great Falls, Montana last year and purchased a very nice 11-48 Sportsman with vent rib and mod choke. It cost $299. I squirmed a bit but after shooting it this year in S.Dakota I don't feel as bad. Compared to the later 1100's it is a feather weight.
Best,
Ron
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations - - nice grab!

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

I WOULD HAVE JUMPED ON THAT ONE TOO Twisted Evil
David
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

16crazy, for a 16 ga. that is light. I have an 11-48, in a 410, 25" barrels vent rib that weighs 6 lbs. 10 ozs. Bought it when I was in the service in Germany for $103.00. Haven't shot it much, but still have it and like it.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations!

My 11-48 came from a pawn shop a few years ago. I asked if they had any 16 gauge shotguns. THe guy said he thought they had one. It was an 11-48 with 26 inch vent rib IC barrel. They had a price on it of $150. I walked out with it for $135. Later found out it was one of the ones on the 20 gauge frame and that the vent rib model was considered the model B. I really should refinish the stock and recut the chekering, but it shoots so darn well, I hate to mess with it.

The last day of this pheasant season, one of my Brits went on point. The other that I thought was backing from about twenty yards away was looking in the opposite direction. Walked in on the first dog and two roosters came up and gave me a classic left and right. Two birds down. Second dog hadn't moved. Wouldn't break and come retrieve. Put both of the birds in my vest and walked over to the other dog. Was five yards away from her when another rooster came up. When I dropped that one, she broke and retrieved it. I swear that she was shaking her head at me when I walked in like she was saying to herself: "Why doesn't he believe me? There's a bird RIGHT HERE!"

Three birds in less than a minute. The 11-48 and the dogs did what they were supposed to and I actually did what I was supposed to. Not exactly a triple, but the closest I've had to one in a long time.

Enjoy your 11-48.

TMB
________
CHEVROLET CORVAIR