16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Precision Reloading
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Just idle curiosity - Is the Precision facility located on the former Herters premises in Mitchell SD? Their website photo looks similar to the old Herters catalog picture.

B.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Herters was located in Waseca, MN.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

They had outlets in Mitchell and a couple other places.

We stopped by their “world headquarters” in Waseca once as a kid. Kind of wished I hadn’t. Didn’t quite live up to the glorious temple of outdoorsmen as painted by the catalog. Showroom was like a dark dusty country store / flea market with a couple warehouse shacks and quonset hut outbuildings. Memorable nonetheless.

B.
bigblue
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
They had outlets in Mitchell and a couple other places.

We stopped by their “world headquarters” in Waseca once as a kid. Kind of wished I hadn’t. Didn’t quite live up to the glorious temple of outdoorsmen as painted by the catalog. Showroom was like a dark dusty country store / flea market with a couple warehouse shacks and quonset hut outbuildings. Memorable nonetheless.

B.
The Herters catalouges which I still have were a bible when I was a kid. I still have fond memories and still have some decoys and paint kicking around. They were not fancy but they were a hell of a lot of fun and they shipped most anything to Canada that a kid could afford to buy with paper route money.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

As a kid Herters catalog was my wish Bible. Wish I had one of those catalogs left just to reminisce of my younger days gone be.
ole_270
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Exactly, no telling how many rifles I put together in my imagination using those barreled actions and semi finished stocks. Still have and use a cast bullet sizer/Luber from them.
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

ole_270 wrote:
Exactly, no telling how many rifles I put together in my imagination using those barreled actions and semi finished stocks. Still have and use a cast bullet sizer/Luber from them.
I bought one of those Mausers barreled actions they were called Mauser X I think they were Made by BSA had a great deep blued action and came with 24 inch barrels. They sold for not much more than $100 . I also bought a Manlicher full stock for it don't remember the cost but the stock was not much money and butt ugly.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Those Mausers were nice then as they are today. Might have been Yugoslavian. The BSA guns had a different looking bolt head.

As a kid in MI, the $95 Sako Vixen 222 Rem caught my eye in the Herters catalog. But I couldn’t scare up the funds, and Dad (probable wisely) wouldn’t spring for it either. And I’m not sure what I’d have used it for anyway. But still an awesome rifle today. Popular in NZ for deer.

B.