16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  NID barrels
BHiller
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Folks,

Since we all probably watch the same online auctions you may recognize this NID from GB. I knew it wasn't perfect, but figured the new wood made it a pretty good deal overall. It's going to need the stock face fixed as there a pair of small cracks I don't want to become large cracks and the season's nearly over here in MN anyway.

I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to chasing birds with it in the future. However, it's choked M (right) and Full (left), which is tighter than I would normally prefer for forest upland bird hunting. I can leave them as is and simply use it when I hunt more open country birds to the west of me, or I can have them opened slightly to increase the overall amount of use I get out of the gun. It's not a collector gun, it's a shooter.

My question for the wise collective here is whether there's enough metal on these barrels to have the chokes opened or not? (picture below) I also noticed some rough edges to the barrels and am wondering if I should bother to have that cleaned up too?

Thanks,
Brian
Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of meat there. Ithaca’s were always a bit heavier than most American sxs’s and mainly because the barrels were “over built” if you will. They always seemed thicker and heavier to me.
jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

More than enough. IMO

jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

More than enough. IMO

jswanson
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

More than enough. IMO

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Although from the picture there seems to be enough metal, have the measurement taken, then decide for yourself.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
l.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
stevesavage
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Why not just shoot spreader loads for closer range. I do in my full and modified barrels. No trouble hitting birds. I much prefer full chokes.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

stevesavage,

I agree I use the RST SpredR loads while Grouse and Woodcock hunting in all my Classic double guns, they throw great bird killing patterns. If he can, it would be wise to leave the gun original and use the SpredR loads, if they give him the patterns he needs for what ever hunting he does.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
BHiller
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Folks,

I appreciate the input. I load all of my own shells and am now wondering how folks have found the reloading process using spreader loads? I shoot bismuth in the field and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the spreader mechanisms from Ballistic Products in reloading? What are my other options for spreader loads in bismuth?

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Brian
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 am  Reply with quote

For loading Spred-R and other methods of opening the pattern I have found the most even patterns are obtained by putting 1/8 oz shot on the base of the plastic wad (sides removed), then the Sred-R wad , then the remainder of the load placed evenly on each side of the wads uprights, It's a little more trouble to have the two-stage loading process but I find if I don't put the base of shot under the Spred-R that sometimes I get a donut pattern.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have had good results using the SG16 wads with the shot petals removed with and extreme spreader dropped in before the shot was dropped. They pattern well in my tight chocked LC Smith and was able to win the SXS event at the state sporting clay shoot in 2016. Breaking 47x50.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

The X spreaders work well. If you have a progressive MEC press you may want to purchase another drop tube and cut it to allow you to complete the cycle. With a single stage you can get away with a short pull, but a short tube would be easier. The pattern I have with my loads is fairly evenly distributed. I use them for my match loads. I have the poly-wad Spred-Rs for my hunting loads, a slightly better pattern with some of my loads. The X spreaders work easiest with a Z16 wad, but you can find a sweet spot on the SG16 to avoid tearing off petals to keep the lead off your barrels.

That said opening those chokes would be my first choice, especially with an NID. My Flues was originally choked open and full, but sometime in its 102 year life somebody opened up the full to medium. Never had a problem with the barrel. Personally I’d go with open and IC.

Congrats on your purchase! I’m watching for one myself…and maybe a couple others…

fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Mike Orlen says Min OD .750 & Min bore .668

If it we me I'd just have it opened and not have to mess with loading spreaders
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I've had reasonable success with spreader loads as prescribed above... petals removed, XSpreader, etc.

The pellets under the insert idea intrigues me...

But, I admit to breaking with my original thought on my tight choked German guns and opened all of my 16s up to IC/M for simplicity and practicality for my type of hunting.

I use spreaders for WC and early season grouse, though.

Great topic...
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 am  Reply with quote

My 1935 version is at the other end of the spectrum condition wise, so I've anguished over getting it opened up or even having it tubed. I'd say you should find someone with a bore gauge,not just a drop in choke checker, to see what you have in thousandths. A friend measured mine at 15 & 32, yet I can still hit pheasants. Never have taken it after woods birds but would have to use spreaders for that. Congrats on the gun. What year is yours?