16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Damascus, (edited)!
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Old colonel2 wrote:
Where the thin spots are does matter. Thin spots farther down the bore nearer the muzzle, but not too close to the choke do not concern me as much as nearer the chamber.

On powders for Damascus 12 gauge my favoured low pressure powder for 2 1/2 inch is International (now a near to an impossible find) I have a hoard of it as well as SR4756 and SR7625, even PB. I find the International exceptionally clean burning in my hunting loads.

I prefer my 2.5 inch hunting loads below 7k PSI and target loads below 6k PSI. I have loaded some 5k PSI loads but the lower you go the dirtier they get.

Very Happy You just made my day! I’ve got 5 pounds of International put back that I bought because it was cheap at the time.
I’m highly envious of that 4756, that’s highly desirous in a small capacity wildcat cartridge rifle I shoot.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Below is a recent Pressure Trace II example of two different 1oz 16 ga factory loads. T1 is 1300 fps and T2 is 1165 fps, but surprisingly T1 peak pressure is 19 pct lower than T2. In this example, the slower powder in T1 delivers higher velocity and lower pressure than T2 because the muzzle velocity will be dictated by the area under the pressure curve, not the peak pressure value.

This result won’t necessarily hold for all powder types, but for Damascus guns I would start with slower powders like T1. The higher pressure load T2 shown here may be designed to ensure reliable cycling in gas operated guns with lower recoil, and is less suitable than T1 for Damascus guns.

V/R
B.