16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Swapping Lead shot for bismuth shot on a volume basis
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

This has probably been asked before but a quick search was unrewarding. What is the likely effect of taking your favorite lead shot recipe and swapping in Bismuth shot on a volume basis. My sometimes befuddled brain says you should get lower pressure due to the lower weight but velocity maybe harder to predict. I was thinking of trying this and sending in some loads for testing but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it is likely to fail.

Thanks,
James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I have never trusted volumes as shot size affects volumes and you usually need to go up at least one size when using bismuth over lead.

The best way with 12 ga. and 16 ga. loads is to use a lead recipe and drop the shot payload by 1/8 oz when using bismuth. Don't touch anything else in the load and things will work perfectly.

The above is assuming, that you are using appropriate powders for the payload of lead. Just because the load goes bang or there is data for a powder doesn't mean it is a good choice.

Appropriate powders to me mean, Unique, 800X, Universal, Herco, WSF, 20/28, HS6 for 1 oz. lead loads. For 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. lead loads, HS6, Longshot, Bluedot, Herco and 800X. The lead loads mean the load your are deriving the bismuth load from.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Mark,

Any thoughts/data on which of those powders would have cold weather issues?

I have a keg of Blue Dot that has been getting lonely.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

The only powder I haven't been happy with in the cold is W572. All the rest have been fine.

With Blue Dot I would only use CCI209M or Federal 209A primers. There should be loads for Federal 209A's with Federal hulls on the Alliant website.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, they call for a SP16 with the Federal hull. Paper over powder wad under the SP 16 or sub a SG 16?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Ohio,

I have used a .028" 16 gauge overshot card, under the SP16 as well as a 12 gauge Tight Seal from Precision Reloading. Tight Seal works best with flake powders, the overshot card works with any powder. Neither raises chamber pressure