16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  High gun powder
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Any you guys been touting with it yet. I read where it's a rename of tite group for shot shell.
It's pretty dense and for 1oz you should use a claybuster pink 7/8, wad.
Price is bout as good as you can find

Just wandering
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 am  Reply with quote

I have a good supply of it and have been using it in the 12 gauge but haven’t tried it yet in the 16.
I am thinking it might do a nice 3/4 or 7/8 oz target load.
I aim to try a few and maybe some fibre stacked loads to see how they work out but would be very interested if anyone else has used it
Regards
Graham
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 am  Reply with quote

grahamshewell wrote:
I have a good supply of it and have been using it in the 12 gauge but haven’t tried it yet in the 16.
I am thinking it might do a nice 3/4 or 7/8 oz target load.
I aim to try a few and maybe some fibre stacked loads to see how they work out but would be very interested if anyone else has used it
Regards
Graham

Graham, I've loaded 3 rounds at 13, 14, 15 grs with 1 oz. I just shot them out of an old westerfield. Just to see what a stack hgt would be. Going to need alot of filler just to get a reasonable crimp. I haven't done any loading since October. I didn't double check the wt on the powder. The recoil was a little stiff I thought.
I won't be loading till end of March. I have several friends using HG in 12 ga at trap. They seem to be happy with it.
If you try in 16 let me know what your thoughts. Thank Hammer Bill ( old 16 )
pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

It's the same powder as titegroup; Hodgdon gave it a new name to encourage shotgun reloads to try it. I'm using it in 12g 1 oz and 11/8 oz loads, and I made up a 3/4 oz 20g load - tested by precision. Can post it here if anyone's interested. Looking at 12g data, the burn rate is likely similar to green dot.
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I would be interested to see the 20ga data as that will give me an insight into the 16.

I have loaded a good few variations in 12ga and parallel tube cases (Cheddite and Fiocchi). It is a good 3/4oz to 1 1/8oz powder in the 12ga. I have tested a variety of fibre stacked loads as well and it performs very well. For plastic wad loads you will need a 7/8oz wad for a 1oz load as the powder is very fine
Regards
Graham
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.shotgunworld.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.shotgunworld.com/attachments/17c38d28-b212-4353-9e9c-868658e450bd_1_201_a-jpeg.101276/
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks for that. That is useful to say the least……
Regards
Graham
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

Well the weather has got in the high 40's to low'50. Went to a game shoot finally about 40 mile south of here.little rusty 1st round. 2nd round was a piece protection shoot from the 23. Out of total target partner and I ended with a 25 for 1st. We split the pot. I managed to hit 4 of the pc's and partner got one. Next closest to us was 21 for 20 for 2nd. Next round was a slider starting from the 23 ending on the 27. Got 2nd in that one I switched cokes before we began that night. Top barrel was full and btm was IM. Use full mod all evening and was pleased with the breaks. Most of my loads was 700x with a few of my 20/28. Buddy called me next day an told me where a club was shooting games on Thursday nights and payback was rather good. Now he shoot a 12 using High gun. 18gr 1- 1/8oz.
Well today I played with some Highgun. Friend has the cornograph so all I want to do was a little trial shooting. I started with 15 gr and ended with16.3 gr. 16 to 16.3 shot very clean and the recoil was fine
for me. However I didnt have the corno so I couldn't average the speed. I hope to show 1200 to 1250 and then send them in for

testing. I wouldn't advise anyone to do this but for me it's just the
way I am. Anyway when I get all the testing I'll post the results at the
end. Hammer Bill
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Was that with 1oz loads?
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:02 am  Reply with quote

[quote="grahamshewell"]Was that with 1oz loads?[/quote
1oz.yes.
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

Was that with 1oz loads?
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Just to drop a line on High Gun powder. I shot games last night using 16 gr with CB wad 1oz of 7.5. Been long winter for me. First round from 16yrd. Tied for 1st so we split the pot. 2nd round was a piece protection. From 23yrd. Again partner and I tied for first
We shot off from approximately 15yrds behind the 27 yrd. After 3 tries my partner and I won the round. 3rd round was a slider starting at the 18yrd and ending at the 26yrd.won that one. Shot one more round and got beat out. I was freezing my kindle off by that time. Anyway the Highgun seemed to preform very well only thing different was my shoot off shells behind the 27yrd was.1oz 7.5 of 20/28 with 20 grs. heper shot. Their ya have it. Remember that is what I used without any professional testing. That's just me and I'm not recommending this. That's just the way I did it. Hamer.Bill ( OLD 16 )

PS recoil was fine. From 32" 525.
grahamshewell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bill
I will load some up to try out this Sunday and maybe a few 7/8 oz loads as well.
I have a lot of Titegroup powder here…
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill,

What is the P & V data for that load using High Gun powder? I'd be interested to see if I could use it in both the 12 & 16 for 1 oz. loads.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Hammer bill,

What is the P & V data for that load using High Gun powder? I'd be interested to see if I could use it in both the 12 & 16 for 1 oz. loads.

All I can say for now is there's man ats shooters using 17 to 18 gr for 12 ga.