16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR Wad load Data Question
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:37 am  Reply with quote

FallCreekFan wrote:
I may have to pick up some 20/28 while its available as I wonder if Hodgdon is going to come through with International in ‘24 as promised.

I had contacted Hodgdon a year and a half - 2 years ago and asked about the Clays family powder availability. At that time I was told it should be available in 2024. So on March 19th I contacted them again and asked:

Hello,

About 1.5-2 years ago I asked about the availability of Clays Family of powders as none was available (Clays, International, and Universal). The reply I received was that they should start to be available in 2024. Is that still the case and if so do you know when? They are my favorite 3 powders for 12, 16 and 20.

The reply I received was:

This line of powders will continue to be out of production through 2024 for certain. No eta on when they may again be available.

So I would not expect any Clays family of powders to be available for a LONG time yet.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

Thanks for that update.

It makes sense that Hodgdon has pretty much covered Clays and International, using Titewad, High Gun (Titegroup) and Perfect Pattern as their available powders. I guess that Universal is covered by W572, Longshot and HS6.

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying ColdIron. Probably a case of my hearing what I wanted to hear. Had started experimenting with CB’s “pink things” but now that I have an order of DR16’s on the way I’m back to thinking about powder.

I’m good on International & Universal for the time being but anyone have a good 3/4oz alternative for my standard International load which uses Ched hulls and primers and produces 6200 and 1150. Anything in that vicinity is welcome. Thanks.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

FallCreekFan wrote:
Thanks for clarifying ColdIron. Probably a case of my hearing what I wanted to hear. Had started experimenting with CB’s “pink things” but now that I have an order of DR16’s on the way I’m back to thinking about powder.

I’m good on International & Universal for the time being but anyone have a good 3/4oz alternative for my standard International load which uses Ched hulls and primers and produces 6200 and 1150. Anything in that vicinity is welcome. Thanks.

No you weren't hearing things they had planned on having the Clays family available this year. Hodgdon contracts to General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems to produce their powders. The General Dynamics plant in Florida still produces the ball powders for Hodgdon. The GD OTS (Ordnance and Tactical Systems) in Ontario Canada produces the flake Clays family of powder for Hodgdon.

The name Ordnance and Tactical Systems should be telling as to why GD is not filling powder contracts for Hodgdon. Just a guess but thinking it will be a long ways down the road before they can switch from filling military orders to private sector. I don't think anyone can accurately predict when that road will end. My wish would be sooner than later but you know what they say about wishes...

If you have any of the new green lid green dot you can load Ched\Ched with close to the same as the Federals with F209A. 15 gr. of the new Green Dot should get you pretty close to your current International loads. I use Universal for heavier loads because pressure is pretty low with light loads. And with cold here pressure can be good.
FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:40 am  Reply with quote

CI, I appreciate your staying on this and passing on the information you’re getting from Hodgdon.

And thanks for the Green Dot load.