16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anybody love their Mec 9000G?
8mmFan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

We have been using the Mec 600 Jr.s in 20, 16, and 12 for over a decade. Love them. They seem almost foolproof.

The Mec 9000G seems like something else again. Full disclosure: we're talking a 12 gauge 9000G here -- not 16 ga.

From reading through the posts here, it seems like there are a few common themes on the 9000G:

-You almost have to use brand new hulls of certain brands to avoid some problems
- Powder spills are a frequent occurence
- It's a finicky machine
- the time savings almost go out the window, when compared to the 600 jr., because of stoppages, spills, etc.

The above points seem to pretty much match my experience so far. I do really, really like the finished cartridge when the thing works. I like the collet-style re-sizer as opposed to the ring-style on the Mec. The shells have a gorgeous crimp on the 9000G compared to our 600 Jr.s. And when the thing runs for 10 or 15 shells in a row before having a hiccup, it's a dream. But doggone...it's one frustrating machine.

Anybody here love their 9000G?

8mmFan
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

I love mine. Been running them for years for my high volume target loads and run 600jr for my low volume expermental hunting loads. It beats the 366 presses in my opinion the four I had were nightmares sold them all off powder and shot drop nightmares. Next to zero issues with my Mecs once adjusted properly. Just don't run junk components. AA and STS hulls run seamlesly on my machines.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:44 am  Reply with quote

I love mine as well. I also run a 600 for smaller volume reloading like big blue, at some point I will upgrade to a sizemaster, but the 9000 is my go to for most of my reloading. Now that winter skeet is over I need to overhaul it and tweak some areas like the primer seat, etc. Somewhere in this forum is a post of reloader hacks that may make the machine run smoother. There are some finicky issues to deal with especially when changing to a different hull, but I keep the necessary tools handy to reduce frustration. There are always adjustments needed after prolonged use, like any machine.

Learning the right adjustments and keeping it lubed & clean have helped me a lot. 5000 or so rounds since I bought it used as a 12 and converted to 16, and probably many multiples of my volume by prior owners.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Pay close attention, no distractions.

Buddy of mine is having a new set of barrels put on his Citori from a double charge.

If one is good mechanic and focused !

I went to lachmiller resizer and MEC 650 and I am mechanical.

Just be educated and informed .

Regards, Nick
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 am  Reply with quote

My 9000 is 12 ga, which I have all but abandoned. The last time I did use it, I disconnected the auto advance, essentially turning it into a grabber. Much easier to deal with.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 am  Reply with quote

My only 9000 is in 410
Works well, gotta stay in tune with the machine

I normally use Texan "M" loaders for my shotshells

Mike

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 am  Reply with quote

I like my 9000's, but I find most spills start with a primer not dropping correctly. Once the primer doesn't load things go downhill in a hurry. Another issue on all my presses is the crimp starter on 6 point crimps mangling the top of the hull. I've resorted to painting a white stripe on the outside of the crimp starter that is aligned with one of the internal ribs and manually align the hull crimp before pulling the handle. Slows the process down a bit, but saves hulls.

I run 9000's in 16 ga, 20 ga and 28 ga, Sizemasters in 12 ga, 16 ga and 410. Use the 16 ga Sizemaster to load my 16 ga 7/8 oz practice loads using the rare DR-16 wads.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan,

You cannot compare a 600 Jr. to a 9000 series machine. The 600 Jr. is a very simple tool compared to a 9000 which is a machine.

To be successful with a 9000G the adjustments you make are, in some cases interrelated. The primer feed timing and the bar lock are two examples. None of the adjustments can be 'that's close enough', they NEED to be correct. The way to get the adjustments correct is to read the MEC manual until you understand them and then setup the machine by running one shell at a time, just like the manual explains. If the machine can't make one shell correctly at a time it can't work on 6 shells at a time correctly. You MUST understand that manual machines are completely dependent on the operator doing everything right to work correctly. Manual machines do not have a brain, and do not work correctly by magic. None of the items you mention are common problems with 9000's that are correctly setup and adjusted.

How do I know that? I have a 9000G16 and 9000H12 and I know what I did wrong with 9000G16. Once I went back and ran one shell at a time and made individual adjustmenst all the problems went away. I can literally run 100's of shells at a time with no issues. It is easier with the 9000H because that runs at the same exact pace for each shell. A 9000G is very dependent on the operator being consistent in their pace.

I know this sounds a bit condescending and I don't mean it to be, but I have to be honest.

Builder
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Reloading started out for me as a hobby. It has become work. It has gotten me through the shortages and paid for itself with my time.
Some days are just better than others. Even with the problems, my output is about double a 600 jr. Now that most of us have switched to Chedite primers I find that they drop much better than the Winchesters I used to use. The biggest screw up on a MEC 9000 is a missed primer drop that you don't notice. I mostly use Gun club hulls and they work great with no problems related to them. The crimps are nice and close to factory. You do have to pay attention and that includes the feel of the machine during operation. My 12g 9000 probably has 30,000 rounds through it and has needed only minor adjustment to keep it running. I use it mostly for low pressure rounds for my old side by sides. I also have them in 20g and 28g. The 12g is easier to load.
When it is running well and that is not always, my output is 400 rounds per hour. At that speed, 10 minutes out of the hour is spent loading shot, powder and primers and removing the loaded shells from the box I use to catch them. I did consider a hole in the table to drop shells into a five gallon bucket underneath. I prefer to be able to see them instead.
A lot of reloaders prefer the single stage machine. The fussiness of the 9000 can be frustrating.
I have tried other machines including RCBS and older PW. I prefer the MEC products. The RCBS is way more sophisticated but constantly breaks. Sometimes after 20 shells but when it works it is a dream. Newer PW's are just too expensive.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 am  Reply with quote

I don't love reloading anymore so can't say I love my MEC 9000's. For more than 2 decades all I have owned are 9000's two in 12, 16 and 20. Can't imagine ever going back to anything slower and my single stage loaders are long gone Don't know how many hundreds of thousands of shells I've loaded over the years but it is a lot.

Have 2 12 ga. 9000's because back when the youngest son and I were shooting registered birds couldn't afford to be down. We were loading and shooting more than 20K rounds a year and the MEC's are stamped steel. If I could go back in time I would have gotten a Spolar Gold with Hydraulics and gauge heads

When lead was $9.99 a bag reloading was worth it for the 12 and 20. Today not so much when you can get Top Guns for $75-$80 a flat. It cost all of that or more to reload with the price of components today. And Top Guns are going to be up there with Heper shot as far as quality. And other premium shells

For the 16 yes it is worth it to reload and I do. If I was into 28 and 410 would load for those as well. 12 and 20 no.

The 9000 is a simple machine. I retired from the Navy almost 30 years ago as a Chief Machinist Mate. But come on man, they are still a simple machine. Like most things you have to pay attention to detail. I've come to the conclusion that some people should not be allowed to operate machinery.

You have to be at least as smart as the equipment that you are operating.

~20 years ago MEC came out with the 200 primer tray for the 9000G and renamed it 9000GN the N on the end is for new and tells you it has the 200 primer tray. The powder spill issues are caused by not watching for a primer drop and seating in the hull. After you load on a 9000 long enough your eyes automatically go down to verify a primer drop then up to make sure the bar moved all the way then you lift the handle up. Pretty sure my eyes do that in my sleep at this point. Even on the automate I have hooked up to one of the presses. It was one of Jim Benn's first automates before he sold the patent to MEC and became the 9000E (electric). Mine was before the lawyers at MEC got a hold of it and I don't have to hold the buttons in can just hit them and grab a hull with one hand and wad with the other. Feed and repeat.

Progressive presses don't like change. If you change your loads a lot single stage may be better for you if you aren't a high volume shooter. But it is not that hard to operate a 9000 as a single stage press. You do have to make adjustments when changing between loads if nothing else but bushings. But when you make one change it effects other things as well.

PW and Spolar presses are even worse in that regard and they really HATE change. Just like some people hate change.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I presently use single stage Pacific DL-105 and PW375s, and a progressive PW 600. I'd considered getting a new progressive since the 600 requires a strict routine to prevent missed powder charges and other maladies. Sounds like it might be best if I stay with PW.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I have never considered mine to be problematic once I had it set up correctly.

I had a PW and did not like it near as much as the Mec.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

cold Iron, thanks for the laugh -- that really did crack me up, and you are right:

"The 9000 is a simple machine. I retired from the Navy almost 30 years ago as a Chief Machinist Mate. But come on man, they are still a simple machine. Like most things you have to pay attention to detail. I've come to the conclusion that some people should not be allowed to operate machinery.

You have to be at least as smart as the equipment that you are operating."

My dad used to say, "It's not that you don't know... it's that you DON'T KNOW...THAT YOU DON'T KNOW!" lol

I am definitely not a very mechanically handy guy. Have been reloading for almost 30 years, but definitely on the simple machines (Lee Loadmaster for pistol cartridges, though).

Thanks for all of the good info, guys. I did call Mec today, and discovered that I need a new crimp starter, so ordered that and they are sending it out.

I agree about using the good hulls, and will look up that 9000G reloading hack. The primer not dropping correctly definitely caused some of the buggering up in the process.

By the way, I do not take ANY of you guys' posts/comments as condescending. Been here a fairly long time and I always come here first for advice. Really appreciate all of the knowledge above guys. Thanks a ton!

8mmFan
8mmFan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

I should have said it's a 9000GN.

Used it this evening just going slow and reloaded 100 shells in about 30 minutes. About the speed of the 600 Jr.'s when we're really going good on them.

I did have to manually "Hold" the crimp starter off of the shell several times (you who have this press know what I mean if you've ever had to replace the crimp starter).

I loaded all kinds of hulls: old paper shells, Remington Gun Club (remember this is a 12ga), WIN AA in red, orange, grey, and STS.

Man: does this thing ever make a beautiful finished shell. :-)

Can't wait for the new crimp starter to arrive.

8mmFan
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

If the crimp starter is popping of its mounting stud, you have the crimp starter set too low.

9000GN? That is at least a 300 shell per hour machine.

As I stated in my previous post, the adjustments are not correct if you are having that much problem. Timing of the primer drop is reliant on you pulling the handle at the same speed every time. Fast or slow doesn't matter, but you can't vary the speed.

As was stated earlier, you might want to consider selling the 9000GN and going back to the 600 Jr.