16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Any interest in 16 Ga. Wild Pheasant Hunt in SD in Dec 10-1
fourtown
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 am  Reply with quote

A couple of recent posts combined to give me an idea. The first post was the tribute to Doug Oliver video posted by Charles Hammack. I joined this site about 11 years ago. I knew the Society held a couple of clay shoot gatherings, but I didn’t know they held any hunts. I attended one shoot held on a cold rainy day in South St. Paul.

The second post was by Purple16, Bobby Lowe, posting the availability of his Birddog Bunkhouse for pheasant hunting in South Dakota this fall. I’ve wanted to hunt there for years, but things never really lined up for me. He currently has openings for seven hunters Dec. 10-14.

I am posting to see if there is interest in an informal 16 ga. pheasant hunt based at the Bird Dog Bunkhouse, Dec 10-14 2024. There is a lot of excellent public hunting ground within a 30-mile radius of the Bunkhouse. I would offer to pick somebody up at Pierre or Aberdeen airports.

Reply and send a PM if you are remotely interested. Bobby is holding these seven spots for a week or so to see if there is interest in a group hunt.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Purple16
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:33 am  Reply with quote

If you guys put a group together I will donate $25/per 16ga member back to this forum plus give you the DR16 wads I mentioned in my original post.

I always thought a 16ga group was a great way to have fun and make new friends.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I could be interested in a hunt in SD this year.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted double post

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri May 24, 2024 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I am unable to participate at this time, I still have some health problems due to Agent Orange. Will use my energy to train our new Ryman puppy at home in our Grouse woods here in Pa.

Hope all you gentlemen have fun Pheasant hunting in SD with your 16 gauge guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Three or four hunters have expressed interest so far in a 16 Ga. Pheasant Hunt in South Dakota in Dec.

If someone is considering driving from east of MN, I could meet you the Twin Cities and we could carpool from there.

It was brought to my attention that many people read this forum, and never post or register. If you are interested in the hunt you can contact me by phone or email.

Thanks

Marshall 651-747-7566

muzzdog@hotmail.com
canvasback
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I’m rolling it around in my head. Have been meaning to book a stay at Bobby’s hunt camp. Gotta set some plans in motion. But I’m Canadian so travel is a bit more complex.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:02 am  Reply with quote

canvasback wrote:
I’m rolling it around in my head. Have been meaning to book a stay at Bobby’s hunt camp. Gotta set some plans in motion. But I’m Canadian so travel is a bit more complex.

Brother James you really should do it! Thanks to the US CDC it just got a bit more complicated but nothing you can't handle. Starting Aug. 1 all dogs coming into the US from Canada have to have rabies cert within 30 days and signed matched to the dogs microchip.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/cdc-border-dogs-rabies-veterinarians-1.7208074#:~:text=As%20of%20Aug.%201%2C%20the,30%20days%20of%20travel%20time.

It is even more complex for me going from the US to Canada and back into the US. Guess the CDC has been bored since COVID so making life harder for everyone again.

But knowing you it would be worth it. I know you have hunted the grasslands and much of North America but SD is special. I hunt SD with 3 other retired Navy guys not too far from where Bobby's place is. The 4 of us do well we have access to a lot of private land but also hunt public and even pinch ditches, whatever it takes.

The Admiral ended up buying a house there on the ND border just East of the River. He will not take any money from us as it would mess up his residency but he takes gifts. What the hell do you gift a 2 Star Admiral (Upper Half)? When he couldn't get 16 ga. RST shells during COVID I loaded up 550 for him with the last of my DR16 wads.

We don't rough it too bad at the house you know how I like to cook. We save our woodcock from Wi. and Mn. and always have at least one meal with Woodcock Cristina Di Beccaccia as appetizers.

If I was retired for good I'd make it a point to join you it has been way too long since I've seen you. But between the Navy hunt, North Shore and Sunset Country in Canada I am out of time. I really feel you will not regret it if you go.
canvasback
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

Brother Mike, thanks for the words of encouragement. When I first hunted in the US back in the 1980s, we would base ourselves in Pollock SD. Just east of the river and very close to the ND border. Sounds like you are in that vicinity. We were there while Kevin Costner was shooting Dances with Wolves in the area. I have very good memories of those hunts. Had a local guy clearing the way for us. Great guy and great fun.

My life has very recently got a bit more complicated. Getting ready to move my 97 yo father into my house with me. I have to see how that shakes out for a few months before I take off for a couple weeks. Because of course, I couldn’t make SD a destination and not stop off at a few places along the route. Very Happy

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
hunterdau2
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Any kennels for dogs ?
fourtown
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Bobby has a strict rule about no dogs in the house, but he has very nice kennel facilities.
Purple16
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I built a 10 dog indoor insulated kennel in the back yard. Each has its own welded wire run.
I furnish dog bowls and water buckets along with two bins full of blankets for your dog's comfort.

[url=https://postimg.cc/9DYVK8xD] [/url]
[url=https://postimg.cc/bScY2Ffj] [/url]
[url=https://postimg.cc/qhCMqHYL] [/url]

I also have several insulated dog kennels in the garage that the dogs are welcome to use. Each person likes to do varying things with their dogs so I have a few options available.

I have indoor bird cleaning area with a designated bird freezer to store your bagged birds.

[url=https://postimg.cc/CBttVxLK] [/url]

The house is set up for a quality experience.
[url=https://postimages.org/] [/url]

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the timing of this hunt may not work out for me. I will, however, be rolling through South Dakota on my way south (from ruffed grouse hunting) in early November. Perhaps then would be more convenient for some folks?