16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  .22 Rifle Question
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:54 am  Reply with quote

I do not have much of a knowledge base on rifles. Most of my rifle experience is from Uncle Sam. Nonetheless, this weekend I acquired a 1909 Remingtom pump action 22, Gallery. Reminds me of what was shot at the carnival booth. The barrel is stamped short, but the action chambers and ejects shorts, as well as long and long rifle ammo. It has a very heavy hexagon barrel.

If it chambers and ejects, is there a downside to shooting long and long rifle ammo Question
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Cahoonje, .22 shorts have a shorter case with a lighter, shorter bullet than LR rounds. .22 longs use the same length case as standard LR rounds but use the same bullet weight as a short. Standard LR bullets are heavier and longer than either of the other two.

You might have a gun that's had the chamber reamed out to accept long rifle rounds or the gun's headspace is sloppy and will chamber and lock up on a long or long rifle case. .22 guns are all supposed to headspace on the rim. .22 LR guns have a longer ball seat or rifling leade cut further from the face of the bolt to make room for the extra length of the bullet sticking out of the case.
you could have a good smith look it over and check the headspace. Either way, you'll probably be ok if you stay with standard velocity ammo. Hi-Speed and ultra -speed rounds like .22 stingers and Yellow jacket ammo may be a bit much for the gun.
Cahoonje
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:29 am  Reply with quote

Thanks again 16GG.
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Reaming the chamber is not the only problem. The feed mechanism was designed for 22 shorts. I would leave it orginal and buy CCI shorts to shoot in it. Also check the bore and see how the rifling is.
rayb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:57 am  Reply with quote

do you shoot 2 3/4" 16 ga shells in your old hammer barreled gun that has 2 1/2 " chambers??? food for thought

respectfully submitted.....

rayb

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Folks, I believe the man has stated he has a gun that already chambers everything from shorts to LR ammo. He is trying to understand why it does in spite of the fact it has a .22 short designation on the barrel.

Nobody has recommended reaming anything. The gun may have been made with a long enough chamber, already been modified, or it has a headspace problem. If it chambers and fires standard velocity short, long and .22 LR ammo, it is already operating at the about the same pressure range for all three. Nor does he need to worry about case life. .22s are not reloadable.

Nor are modern .22 rimfire cases likely to burst if they are standard velocity. If the headspace is grossly over the limit, then firing the gun might be iffy. Even so, it would have to be way out of spec to be dangerous. With modern standard velocity ammo, most .22 rifles are safe, even with some slop. If the cases were not made super stout for their pressure range, quite a few .22 autofeeders would be dangerous to shoot. It has been this way for nearly 100 years now. After all, the .22 rimfire is the oldest cased round on the planet and pre-dates the civil war.

22 rimfires do not have forcing cones like shotguns or the widely varying suitable pressure ranges either. Some companies simply used the same barrels and chamber lengths in all their rifles as a cost savings measure and still do. Plus, .22 standard velocities and pressures were well established by the late 1880's well before his gun was made.

I think I suggested taking it to a gunsmith to check the headspace and its safeness first. If it is a headspace problem, then the smith will be able to determine if it is ok for use or if it needs to be reset. However, let the man start there. He will then know what to do. He's a smart fellow.