16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Has anybody shot/taken a sixteen to an Argentina dove hunt?
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

I went this past summer with my son and he shot an AYA 20 and I shot an Beretta 28 O/U. I shot my 7-1/2 pound DHE sixteen with 32'' barrels at 5 stand today and shot the best I ever have. I was thinking that if I ever get to go back to Argentina I would like to shoot a heavy sixteen side by side with 1oz loads. I have never heard of anyone shooting a sixteen on an Argentina dove hunt.

Here are pictures of me and my son with some of the dove we shot:

I am the one one the right that looks like George Clooney.

Here is a link to my photobucket site - you are welcome to browse around:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/AmarilloMike/Argentina%20Dove/?start=all

Best,

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Mike----how many shells did it take to down that collection????Rumor has it your son shot most of 'em Wink The 16 ,.410 and 28 have one thing in common---they are uncommon---I am sure if the proper financial application was made you could shoot the gauge of choice Twisted Evil
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thats not all the birds I shot but I did shoot 3200 shells in two days.

I shot 25% the first day and 50% the second. The birdboy with the counter was working for a tip - not that I think the count was inflated much, well not very much, well, not more a quarter over, well certainly not more than half maybe, well I know I shot SOME.
Very Happy
Best,
Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Mike---not to mention the George Glooney comment---Seriously---3000 rounds in that short of time-----Bruises--possible brain/spine damage---I can't imagine shooting that much in two days Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

HOA I was shooting 3/4 ounce loads throught a Beretta O/U with 30 inch barrels that weighs 6lbs - 12oz. The recoil was very mild. My arms were sore from lifting it that many times but no bruising, neck, or joint pain.

Best,

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

That's still a whole bunch of shooting
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

The second day was better than the first. I would fire two shots, open the gun and catch the hulls and stuff them in my game vest, put in two more shells, close the gun, and the birds would be there ready to be shot at. It was surreal.

Best,

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Last year I had the chance to shoot with Mike Schimdt- hope I spelled it right--At his personal skeet field in Ga.-----He shot 40 -50 rounds x25 of skeet every day---Way too much for me ---I'm 41 and in decent shape but that's a whole bunch of lifting and swinging---The question is ---did you just keep shooting cause you were there???--I would Wink
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:12 am  Reply with quote

This topic seems to arise about twice a year. In the past, people who've hunted WAY down south have said that 16 ammo is not available, but I couldn't get an answer to the question "How hard did you try?". It seems that everyone just accepts the word of the stateside booking agent without really looking into it.

I'm sceptical because I've met an Argentinian who swore he grew up shooting 16s and that 16 was still very popular at home. I think the ammo is there, but the outfitters just don't want to complicate their logistical chain (or cater to the customer?).

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
L Kenney
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

I think Foursquare's got it right. The only time I ever hunted in Argentina - during a fishing trip in the Argenine autumn- my host offered me the use of one of his two shotguns: a W&C Scott or an AyA. Both were 16s and he said that's all he ever shot.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Me and two buddies are planning an Argentina trip for next spring (fall, Argentina time) and the outfitter we're dealing with says 16 gauge shells are readily available as long as we let them know in advance. Problem is: I don't know if I want to shoot 2000+ rounds per day through an old Nitro Special, so I'm thinking about either renting a gun down there or bringing a 28 gauge beater.