16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington LRE hull --Loads???
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone have recipes for the Remington (dark green, high brass)
"Long Range Express" hull? As a factory it is a 1 1/8 oz load at 1295fps.
These are real slammers I use for distance shots in sporting clays and I'd like to reload 'em if possible with the Trap Commander 1 1/8 oz wad,
and recreate the factory potential....???? Can't find this hull in the books. Thanks!

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

These hulls are the Remington SP hull.

Best results are with the Remington SP wad and a slow burning powder such as Blue Dot.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to first ask how old these shells are. Remington long range express shells have been loaded in different shells over a period of decades.

If this shell is a medium green, opaque shell with a plastic base wad, then it is a new type SP hull. However, if this shell is one of the older, translucent, dark almost emerald green hulls with a paper or fiber base wad, it is both obsolete and dangerous to reload. These old hulls take a #57* primer and are not suitable for use with modern 209 size primers. If you can see the shot and the wad inside the case through the hull wall, its the old one. Toss it before you put yourself and your gun in danger.

The Remington hulls load best with an SP-16 wad specifically sized for the smaller diameter case. Gualandi wads have a bigger diameter. Loading them in a Remington case can cause problems.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have sinned I must repent. I am loading new old emerald green Remingtons with 57 primers. They are sooo nice to look at and they shoot goood too. Foregive me 16gaugeguy I know not what I do. Rolling Eyes
Ron
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Ron,I hope you have a good stash of those 57's Wink
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

hoa,
I found two bricks for $10.00 and couldn't pass them up. The open primer limits the types of powder I can use, other than that they are great. The old emerald hulls are super for reloads. The 1 1/8 oz. load looks like a factory load when done. It works for me.
Ron
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ron---hard to pass up a deal like that----Also glad you are aware of it's limitations Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Ron you old heathen you, Laughing no problem here.You have the right sized primers and I'd suspect you have given those old shells a good once over for loose base wads and such.

Just keep your eye out for squibs. These old primers are over 20 years old. If they have been stored cool and dry, they should be fine. I've had some that were not so good and had a lot of misfires.

I warn folks so they won't jam a 209 into the smaller primer pocket of these old shells. That will split and /or lift the base wad. The results can be disasterous for a good gun.

Most of these old shells are long past their useful life and I've seen too many with moisture and corrosion damage. however, if a reloader knows exactly what he is doing, then that is OK. I cannot tell this while sitting in front of my 'puter, so I advise caution and err on the side of same.

I will say that if you go ahead and blow up one of your rarer Beretta 409 16 ga. guns, keep it to yourself. I'm gonna be all over you if I find out. Wink
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Whew!!..I feel better now. I was certain I was going to He** for my transgresions. Normally I seek redemption from Rev but I do accept it from others. Wink I will keep my secrets of distruction and carry them to my grave. I would rather not confirm my foolishness that now is only suspected. Like you when it comes to reloading it is check and double check all the time.
Best,
Ron
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:11 am  Reply with quote

I have the better part of a brick of *57's that are no more use to me as shotshell primers cause the old hulls have worn out. But I won a CVA bolt actioned muzzleloader at a sportsman's raffle and these primers work great in it. No misfires or spitting back. Now I'm glad I didn't dunk them in a bucket of diesel fuel. Sometimes being a packrat pays off.
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks twicebarrel and 16g guy. I finally (!) noticed just before the lot# on the Express Long Range box the little "SP" ! Cranial capacity seems to be shrinking with advanced age. These ARE new shells, (Wal Mart has 'em, at (9.50 a box !).And they do have a plastic base wad, so will look up recipes.

I like loading the BP greenies or the Fed purples using an SG wad, but open to other combos anyone can suggest. I only know of the SG wad and the Trap Commander from BP, but I think they sell the Rem wad also. Was unaware some wads are slimmer.

PS It's colder than Antartica here in Maine, but we have an NSCA tournement scheduled tomorrow!

Thanks again!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Then any 209 primer will work for you. You can buy SP-16 wads almost anywhere that sells reloading supplies. Remingtron still makes them. KTP has them. In fact, I was there yesterday and picked up a partial bag of about 75 for and get this, $0.25--yup, 25 centavos. I should have left them for somebody else, because I have plenty, but these just jumped out the the resale wad bin into my hand along with a full bag of WW 410AA wads for a buck. They kept crying "Buy me, 16GG..Buy me!!!", so I did. Very Happy
rizzini 16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks 16g guy. Nuthin like cheap wads, the more the better. I get really nervous when I have less than 6 flats of 16g on hand.
I ordered a new (30") sporting O/U barrel for my Rizzini. It's down at Briley now getting chokes drilled and I'm having the chambers opened
.004th to accept any and all fattie reloads.
Talk about a kid at Christmas!!!
I noticed on GunBroker somebody swept up the Browning 30" Citori 525 Sporting for $2700. Only 11 ever made.
regards,
Rizz