16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Preferred chokes for sporting clays?
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Prussian Gun Guy"]Hey there Duncan,

You sure seem to have been gettin' a lot of guns lately? I don't like to be envious.

....just a couple.....the lowly Fox Sterlingworth and this humble Smith (oh yeah, the ithica 37 hardware store gun....).....I'll lay low for awhile and tweak these to suit ......then....who knows?? I wish I could afford the kajillion dollar Lindners and such like my affluent east coast heroes, but all I can seem to manage is this non-graded entry level American stuff.... Crying or Very sad.... sniff, sniffle...... Wink

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Hey Brit I'm sure your aware but most LC's have .650 Bores so your chokes maybe more open than you think.I have a 1923 Ideal grade that measures just about full and fuller with a Galazan choke gauge. In reality it is IC/MOD just don't want you to have all the choke removed.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:19 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Hey Brit I'm sure your aware but most LC's have .650 Bores so your chokes maybe more open than you think.I have a 1923 Ideal grade that measures just about full and fuller with a Galazan choke gauge. In reality it is IC/MOD just don't want you to have all the choke removed.

wow, no I did NOT know that....thanks......the "skeets" Bore cauge I used said something similar (tight as heck chokes), and it measured the true choke constriction in thousandths of an inch off the bore diameter.......and it was like something like .025 and .035, so I'm thinking maybe I'll shave it down to IC/IC or SKT and IC....not sure yet..... but in that ball park, but I will be sure that the constriction I measure is in proportion to the exisiting bore diameter....thanks for the heads up....

ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

britgun:

The best sporting clay shot I know uses an older browning gold hunter autoloader with IC and never changes the choke tube. My Merkel SxS is Skeet/IM (theatrically, it always SEEMS tighter) and it works fine with 7/8 oz loads. I have an over under 12g sporting clays gun that always has Skeet/Skeet tubes in it and it will break anything out there (if I do my part).

I took some lessons once, and when we talked about choke the instructor took the choke tube out of his gun and we just shot across the threads. We shot a target off a high tower (100 feet or so) and we shot it from the next stations away on the course. This was maybe an 80 or 90 yd shot. Guess what, if I had an ungodly amount of lead ahead and below, the targets broke. They didn’t get dusted, but they broke. Now people that change chokes all the time drive me nuts!

Of course you’d never want to do this with live birds, but for sporting clays I’m not sure choke makes that much of a difference if you just need a chip. When I get to the point where I can honestly say “Wow, that target flew right thru that pattern!” maybe I’ll rethink things. In the interim, I’ll assume I was behind and over (where else?).

That said; if I were to buy another gun just for sporting clays it would be an 8 lb O/U with 30” barrels and fixed IC/IC chokes. However, you guys have messed me all up and now I just want to sell my sporting clays gun and buy another 16 g SxS! Or maybe a 16g O/U, or maybe a 16g.......
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

ColoradoPaul wrote:
britgun:

The best sporting clay shot I know uses an older browning gold hunter autoloader with IC and never changes the choke tube. My Merkel SxS is Skeet/IM (theatrically, it always SEEMS tighter) and it works fine with 7/8 oz loads. I have an over under 12g sporting clays gun that always has Skeet/Skeet tubes in it and it will break anything out there (if I do my part).

I took some lessons once, and when we talked about choke the instructor took the choke tube out of his gun and we just shot across the threads. We shot a target off a high tower (100 feet or so) and we shot it from the next stations away on the course. This was maybe an 80 or 90 yd shot. Guess what, if I had an ungodly amount of lead ahead and below, the targets broke. They didn’t get dusted, but they broke. Now people that change chokes all the time drive me nuts!

Of course you’d never want to do this with live birds, but for sporting clays I’m not sure choke makes that much of a difference if you just need a chip. When I get to the point where I can honestly say “Wow, that target flew right thru that pattern!” maybe I’ll rethink things. In the interim, I’ll assume I was behind and over (where else?).

That said; if I were to buy another gun just for sporting clays it would be an 8 lb O/U with 30” barrels and fixed IC/IC chokes. However, you guys have messed me all up and now I just want to sell my sporting clays gun and buy another 16 g SxS! Or maybe a 16g O/U, or maybe a 16g.......

hey Paul,

Thanks, I was leaning towards that IC/IC thing, and by cracky, I think that's what I'll do! Thanks for the testimony....you just can't argue with real life experience, and I'll always heed that over the text book science stuff....You just pushed me right out the door and over the edge.....and you're right, this Site has a way of messin' a guy up big time....whatever was going on before a guy wanders on here, it gets all whipperjawed, and he starts doin things a little "differnt"...for me, it's the foray into these wonderful vintage 16 bore Yankee doubles I've been ignoring all these years, plus a 16 pump, plus a 16 auto, plus.......

jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:18 am  Reply with quote

It has long been known the IC is a fantastic choice of choke for upland gunning as well as decoying ducks and even more. As I stated before, it can be very versatile even if you need it to be tighter, by load manipulation.
With some hot, hard shot you can get close to full choke performance out of it if needed.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:28 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
It has long been known the IC is a fantastic choice of choke for upland gunning as well as decoying ducks and even more. As I stated before, it can be very versatile even if you need it to be tighter, by load manipulation.
With some hot, hard shot you can get close to full choke performance out of it if needed.

....sounds like all I need, old buddy.....I have your shirt on today (the one the shotgun came wrapped in..... fits like a glove, wish the gun did (ha ha) but it will when I get a little length on there and bend a little cast off in there...... warm regards,

Duncan

jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote

I am so glad I was able to sell that gun to a high quality person as you Duncan. Not only that, but I get to read about your journey with the Fox which hopefully turns out to be great. Can't wait to see a picture when she's all finished. Having to come to the reality neccesary to put that gun into the hands of someone that can shoot it, and appreciate it, was not easy for me.
But its much easier when you know and like the person to whom you sold it.

I have 5 boxes of Federal 1oz gameshok loads that I will send you if you want them. They worked well in that gun on quail and I have both 7 1 /2 and #6. I think 3 boxes of 7 1/2 and 2 boxes of #6. Will check a bit later today after my job hunting chores are over.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
I am so glad I was able to sell that gun to a high quality person as you Duncan. Not only that, but I get to read about your journey with the Fox which hopefully turns out to be great. Can't wait to see a picture when she's all finished. Having to come to the reality neccesary to put that gun into the hands of someone that can shoot it, and appreciate it, was not easy for me.
But its much easier when you know and like the person to whom you sold it.

I have 5 boxes of Federal 1oz gameshok loads that I will send you if you want them. They worked well in that gun on quail and I have both 7 1 /2 and #6. I think 3 boxes of 7 1/2 and 2 boxes of #6. Will check a bit later today after my job hunting chores are over.

awesome, that would be great, send them over, let me know what I owe you, and I'll send you a check....(or send them instead of the $20 and let me know what the diff is....) I'm starting to reload those FEDS too, so I'll have a few more hulls around that way, as well.... I leave for Uganda in the AM, back Mar 4 PM, but I'll have internet access over there some of the time so I can stay in the 16ga loop a little from the equator on the other side of the world.......quick story, one time I was walking thru the bush with this Ugandan dude looking at some farmland to buy to help him feed the kids in his orphan home that we built, and suddenly, a dozen or so Guinea Fowl burst up out of the bush, and I raised my hands in mock shotgun fashion, and dumped a couple in my dreams.... it made me want to wingshoot over there, I did find a feather and it's taped up here over my desk!!

take care, man,

Duncan