16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  FS: 1930 26" Sterlingworth
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Ah Geez, Brit, and I was gonna give you mine (you asked for it on my picture thread) Sad ! Oh well; guess I'll have to keep it Wink . Good luck with this one; bet you're gonna love it!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
britgun wrote:

I can shoot mostly whatever I want in there 'cause they beefed it up a tad to accept modern (like Super X) hotter stuff, yeee haaaaa..
Duncan

Just remember, you still have 77year old wood on that 'ole gal. Many a stocks have been cracked "shooting mostly whatevere someone wanted" in these guns. Wink

I have an older Sterly in excellent shape and I wouldn't consider the hotter Super X etc loads. Strictly lower pressure stuff in mine.

Tom

Thanks for the warning, Tom, if I crack the stock through higher pressure loads, it'll be my own fault! You are the 2nd guy to share this with me. Well, it looks like very good straight grained walnut, flawlwss without cracks now.... my problem is that I really am the guy who likes to carry the 16 weighing like a 20, and shooting it like a twelve! if the stock gives, I would restock it..... I won't go too crazy on hot loads, but would use something a bit more on the serious side as the season winds down and the birds flush a little wilder....(like some of my hoard of PMC no. 4's) Smile

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'd buy a Citori or a Merkel for the hot stuff. I shoot some god awful hellacious hunting loads out of my Citori and it doesn't even burp. Of course, none are hotter than 10,500 PSI. In fact most are well under, but the velocity and payloads are max and recoil is definately stout.

Remember, it is not just the wood. The steel in a modern gun is tougher too and designs have been reinforced over the years to handle stout modern loads. Stocks can be refabricated. The reciever and barrels can't nearly as easily.

I once said that these guns are a lot like grand parents. You would not expect your grands to lift and carry a load more suited for a strong, healthy young man. Don't expect an old gun to handle heavy loads either. It made sense the first time I said it, and it makes sense now.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I'll take it easy....

grousewoods
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

jig, I"m glad you sold it, I guess you didn't what my gun I didn't here back from you one way or another but now i know why! Britgun sounds like he likes it so thats a good outcome. After all this I hope we can keep everybody happy in trading guns thats what it's all about! Hope you better luck next time we have enough stress in ower lives!