16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Too much for a citori superlight 16 ga?
siemax
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I saw a citori 16 superlight on an internet catalog and immediatley fell in love I had almost bought one a couple of years ago but had to hold off. I called to learn about it and was told that this particular model was just about sold out and one of the last ones could be had for $1999. Now I love Citori's as much as the next guy and I would love a 16 ga gun, but 2k just seems a little bit excessive when for a couple hundred more you could get a Rizzini.

Am I just off my rocker? My first thought is to wait and try to find a gently used superlight with the 2k sticker rubbed off. Or is this really worth that much and I should shut up and buy it? I just know I have seen lightnings for $1300-1500.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 am  Reply with quote

yup, I'd say that is a "go to hell" price for a grade one superlight. They usually carry a 10% premium over the lightning in the same grade. However, if it is a grade III, you'd do well to snap it up if it is in 95% to new. If it is a used gun or even preowned, I'd not pay any more that $1200 depending on overall condition. Browning does not offer warrantee service on preowned guns. They keep track of them now with a computer. They know where and when the gun was originally sold. If there are even minor problems, you have to pay for the repair. Therefore, you are better of buying a used model that you can fire a few through to make sure it is working than an "as new in box" gun.

Most first owners who have bought the gun on speculation will claim the gun is good as new or new in box if the gun has not been shot. However, they cannot say whether the gun is mechanically perfect, because it has not been tried. They don't want if fired for function testing. They can't warrant it either, so it is "buyer beware". Many can't or won't face facts and want the "collector price" 15 to 20 years ahead of time. I'd look for one elsewhere from someone with a firmer grasp of the facts.
driggy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Seems alittle high. That 100 more than I paid for my Gran Lightning 3 years ago. Seems like I've heard about $1500 for the other lightning models with an occasional specimen going a few hundred lower. Try the search function cause I know this has been brought up in the past.
siemax
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

after some research and internal debate I decided against it. I had the option to buy a sig/rizzini on closeout or the citori at what I think was more then retail. I took the rizzini, but my next gun WILL be a 16 ga & more then likely a citori.

Thanks for your help!!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:17 am  Reply with quote

I was faced with a very similar situation about three monthes ago. I opted for patience and persistance. It paid off. I got an unfired, 99% 1987, 16 ga. lightning in the box for well under what many many other folks were asking for preowned unfired or even well used ones. I got it from a dealer, Kittey Trading Post too. If the gun had been not right, they would have stood behind their deal. Not so with many private owners. There it is buyer beware. Just be patient and prepared to buy when the right deal comes along. They are out there. Believe it.