16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  ITHACA 37 Trigger Problems
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 40 year old beautiful Model 37 16, that I'm getting better at shooting. On several occasions my gun has pump-fired when I wasn't expecting it. Does anyone know if Brownell's, Timney or anyone else sells a modern trigger assembly with a trigger disconnect that could be retro-fitted into my gun. Apparently mine doesn't have it or it doesn't work right. Does anyone know of any gunsmiths who have repaired this problem on other Ithacas, I need help! Each day now is a day closer to our feathered friends, help, help!
Sixteen gunz
________
Tech

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I think your gun is working exactly as intended. What is required is a consious effort on your part to release the trigger completely after the shot, but, before you cycle the action. On some of the old guns, if the trigger is held in the pulled position during the action cycle, the gun will fire after the action is closed as the trigger is released. This gun needs a little forward pressure on the pump slide after the shot, to disingage the slide lock, and it sometimes takes a little practice to get proper pump movements down if you are new to them. I have a friend who had to be taught this (autoloaders all his life) who can now handle a pump with the best of them.
Have you had the gun apart for a good cleaning of the trigger group? Its not too difficult, but, on a model 37 requires removal of the stock, and some careful use of gunsmithing screwdrivers. DO NOT use the same screwdrivers your wife uses for opening the stuck drawers around the house. A gunsmith would likely get $50 for the job if its a bit over your abilities (a man's got to know his limitations, after all) and if your gun is indeed from the 1940's, it needs it.
Disconnect triggers are a modern idea, and the one that works best is the unit thats in a Mossberg model 500. Cheap gun with a liability proof disconnect. I have a new Ithaca 16 gauge ultra lightweight that I tried to get to fire by holding the trigger pressed-it didn't fire, but, there was a tiny dent in the primers. Spooky. It may be the gun is just new, and when its older, and broke in, it will fire those cartridges just like yours. I dismantled the gun, and found no lubricant in the gun from the late Ithaca gun company. Lubed it lightly and reassembled it, and now its waiting for hunting season.
Good luck. You have a first class firearm from an era of excellent quality and workmanship.
Best,
Ted
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Ted-
I'm not sure how retrainable I am. I've shot pumps with disconnects for 40 years, the mossberg you mentioned for 30 of them, and I'm rather conditioned. I've been trying to learn, but when the gun discharged while ejecting a spent shell I wanted to save and landed 3 feet behind me at the trap range I took it in to the gunsmith. He cleaned and lubed it and reset the trigger pull to a little stiffer and kind of said the same as you, that it works the way it was built, in 1968. I appreciate your input and I will look around a little more for another trigger set. I'm a rather excitable guy and in the heat of a double flush ... I may forget and I don't want an accident. As you said, a man must know his limitations. If I can't fix it I'll keep working on my re-training. Thank you Ted I repect your knowledge and opinion very much.
May your shots be many, and your misses few,
sixteen gunz
________
Medical marijuana card

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jroth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

If you can disassemble and remove the trigger assebly adn check the disconnector as they were required prior to WWII.
You may have a broken part either the trigger pawl or the catch, in which it cycles is worn. May consider taking to smith.
Lanyard Stretcher
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

My 1940 M 37 has the slam fire feature. From what I understand a lot of the pump guns of the era had the slam fire feature. I learned about it on the skeet field trying to hit the second bird. The Ithaca went off as I was pumping for the second bird. I was spooked Shocked for awhile after that. I have learned to completely release the trigger now and that M 37 16 gauge is now my favorite. Very Happy

Mike