16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Are some primers softer than others?
txshootist
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I recently took my Sterly to the skeet range and discovered that the left hammer/firing pin hits a little soft (I had two misfires out of the left bbl). I don't know what is causing this yet but I am in the hunt for information. In the mean time I was wondering if some primers are harder than others. I reallize this is a band-aid, but it may be necessary to deal with this problem until I find out what the actual cause of the problem is. Make any sense?

Marc
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

I am the last one to try solving your problem, but I was wondering, what shell were you using.

I have the opposite problem. My 16 ga. Franz Jaeger's firing pins always get stuck in the primers of Federal factory shells, and I can't open the gun. It only happens with Federals.

By the way, if that happens, you can usually break open the gun by removing the fore end.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:22 pm  Reply with quote

The primer cup thickness can make a difference---each gun will have it's own tolerances Cool
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

I asked my gunsmith (formerly of Purdey's) a similar question regarding the relationship of the firing pin and primer hole. He told me that the actual indentation of the firing pin upon the primer was quite small. It was the subsequent ignition of the primer onto the powder and the resulting recoil of the payload which makes a deeper "punch" on the primer. Your differences on the primer hole may be a result of using a "hotter" load or just slight firing pin travel from one barrel to the other. I would probably let your qualified gunsmith check your firing mechanism to make sure there up to standards....
txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
I am the last one to try solving your problem, but I was wondering, what shell were you using.

I have the opposite problem. My 16 ga. Franz Jaeger's firing pins always get stuck in the primers of Federal factory shells, and I can't open the gun. It only happens with Federals.

By the way, if that happens, you can usually break open the gun by removing the fore end.

The shells in question are from RST. They are 2 1/2" 7/8oz light loads. The face of the gun is nice and square and tight. I have a feeling it is the left hammer/firing pin and not the spring. A competent gunsmith could probably tell in a minute.

I will try Federal light loads and see if the problem persists.

Thanks,
Marc
birddog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:

PGG,
I had this same problem with my first DeHaan and with only federal shells. But at present my second DeHaan eats these same shells with no problems. Started me thinking maybe a headspace issue or ssomthing, but since the first gun is not at hand I can't check that.

TXS,
Definately try some other ammo and see if this is with all or only select.
Good luck, Charlie Wink
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

birddog wrote:
Prussian Gun Guy wrote:

PGG,
I had this same problem with my first DeHaan and with only federal shells. But at present my second DeHaan eats these same shells with no problems. Started me thinking maybe a headspace issue or ssomthing, but since the first gun is not at hand I can't check that.

TXS,
Definately try some other ammo and see if this is with all or only select.
Good luck, Charlie Wink

Just Federals. RST, PMC, Fiocci all work fine. Must be some kind of prejudice thing.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

It would be nice if the gun manufacturers actually posted accurate ammo specs especially with our 16 gauge loads. When you compare the reloading data specs of a Federal 209 primers against the Winchester and Remington 209 primers, there is a significant increase in chamber pressure. I know that target loads have to be within various standards but hunting loads are under no such restrictions. And since the factory 16 gague loads we shoot are considered hunting loads, there is a significant difference between the various manufacturers.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:54 am  Reply with quote

The problem with putting anything technical in print, is that it is there for any cheap trick lawyer to beat someone over the head with in an effort to extort money. Most target load data is almost to actually traditional. Quite a bit of it has been around for many years and is basically tort proof because of that very long and proven safety record.

Hunting ammo is different. Many loads do not have a long, safe track record. The hulls used in most promo and even premium quality hunting loads are not made to be reloaded repeatedly either. Liability is the number one cause why many ammo and reloading componant companies are slowly drawing away from hunting load componants. It is also one of the factors why the industry tends to shy away from the 16 gauge. It is almost purely a hunting gauge. This fact alone opens the door for personal injury torts. Its just life in our letigeous society.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

Most shotgun target games have specific standards regarding feet per second and shot payload. Most serious target shooters especially in skeet and trap cannot afford to have a single failure with their shells. The shotshell manufacturers know that a target shooter will probably shoot more shells in a single weekend than what a "typical" hunter will shoot probably all year (except waterfowl). The quality of shot, powder, wads and primer that make up the main target shotshell makers are number one quality. The problem with most hunting loads are the typical hunter get a case of "magnumous" where he thinks the heavier payload and faster speed is the solution for his shooting problems. And by the way, he doesn't want to pay alot for that box of shells. So I do agree the problem with factory hunting loads is that we may be getting significant poorer quality compenents when compared against the better target loads. I guess that why most of us reload our own rounds.....
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

....I have noticed that Winchester primers are soft compared to others....

txshootist
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
....I have noticed that Winchester primers are soft compared to others....

Sounds like a good place to start when gathering my components. No sense in tempting fate with other primers that may be harder. I am veteran rifle reloader, but have yet to home brew the first shot shell.

Marc
WVBob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Soft Primers.

In a word, yes. Some primers are made softer than others. CCI primers are hard. Wiinchester are softer. Federal are hotter. In 37 years of reloading I have used them all and have found them to be almost the same and a little bit different. I like the CCI and Winchester primer for summer and fall shooting. I use the Federal primer for late winter and spring shooting. For me, the Federal's work better in the cold of winter and the damp of spring.

Tx, Shoot a lot of ammo from your Sterly's left bbl and see what it does. It could be anything from a soft fireing pin, a bit deeper of a chamber or a deep seated primer. Winchester shells are known to have a thicker rim than others so if they fire and others don't it could be your chamber. And the thicker is minor, a sheet of paper in thickness.
Quote:

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

If you want a soft primer, shoot a Cheddite and watch your firing pin go right through it! Shocked