16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  "A Paris" 16ga sxs on Cabela's list
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:54 am  Reply with quote

That gun used to belong to me, and some of you might be interested. To add to what they have listed on their website:

It's actually a Belgian-made gun with modern (post-1924) proofs, although the barrels are marked "C. Mode a Paris". (That's the dealer for whom it was made.) Chambers were originally 2 1/2" and have been lengthened (not by me) as have the forcing cones. There is some very light pitting in the bores, nothing to worry about IMO. It has a concealed 3rd fastener. Very solid and tight. I did have the wood redone (no cracks, but a few dings and chips filled in--looks very good now). The only other possible negative I should mention is that the front trigger is pretty light--a little over 2#.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions about that gun. Nice and light, if someone's looking for a well-made European 16 for significantly less than you'd pay for an equivalent British 16.

The gun also has some interesting history. It is definitely a GI "bring back" from WWII. Friend of mine bought it from Westley Richards; they got it from the vet who brought it home from the war, and my friend had a chance to talk to him. GI's found it in a Gestapo office, among a bunch of other guns the Nazis had confiscated, and its original owner stuck it in his duffel bag. Shot birds in Montana with it for a very long time before he grew too old, at which point he sold it to WR.

A surprising number of European doubles found their way back to the States in a similar fashion, but most of those stories are now lost, because those old WWII vets are dying off.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a nice little grouse/woodcock gun! I like those old European guns. My first really decent double was a 16 gauge Belgian guild gun. One of those guns that had a lot of quality and character for the price. I had a very memorable grouse season with that old double during the last grouse peak. Crying or Very sad
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Good looking gun at a very nice price! I'd be on it if it wasn't so close to my W&P 16ga.

Matt
cvdawley
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Larry: I called on this gun yesterday and it had just been sold for 1600.00
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Didn't think it would last long!
rudyc
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

This gun is back on the market at the Richfield, WI store.