16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  here's something you don't see everyday
jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

A nice affordable english 16GA with 30"bbls that only weighs 6LBS!!
Pretty cool huh?

http://www.griffinhowe.com/sgmoreinfo.cfm
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

hey buddy, the link came up as some sort of error message....what was the gun?

Duncan

(I know, I'm s'posed to be snapping 8 x 10 glossies of the sterly for you, right? I shouldn't be piddlin' around online....)

Robin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Midland - Boxlock Non-Ejector
$2,650.00
16 ga, 2 3/4" chambers, double trigger, straight grip, splinter forend, Weight 6 lbs, 0 ozs
jig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun: I was hopin you's see that, kind of - you rascal!
I saw it first dangit! No seriously, as your tag name implies I wanted you to see it for guidance. i've heard Midlands are good and this gun is light-light-light!! 30' tubes and only 6LBS? Wowza!! Opinion please Brit.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
Britgun: I was hopin you's see that, kind of - you rascal!
I saw it first dangit! No seriously, as your tag name implies I wanted you to see it for guidance. i've heard Midlands are good and this gun is light-light-light!! 30' tubes and only 6LBS? Wowza!! Opinion please Brit.

Guess what? I imported that gun (it should have my little H R & G stamp on there someplace, maybe the flats...), had it reproofed (I'm pretty sure), and refinished the wood myself. It is a really really nice gun. I ALMOST kept that one for myself, but sold it off (this must have been in '98 or '99), then it came back to me in a trade with that black pad on it, almost kept it AGAIN, then I sold it again, now that guy must have traded it on something at G and H? It has just killer wood. When I got it, that stock looked almost BLACK, you could barely see any figure at all, it was so oily and old, and I stripped it down myself to what you see there. The thing handles really really well, very well balanced, long and light, carries light, but swings like a heavier gun because of the barrels....I remember that one as well as any I had, probably because I worked on it (rare for a sales/marketing dude)....I did a kajillion coats HAND RUBBED linseed on that thing......Midland made a lot of middle of the road, "game keeper" type guns, but this baby was unique in fit and finish. I even had a Midland catalogue showing that particular model, but cannot remember the model name, it was a bit higher end for them.... I wonder if the catalogue followed the gun around because I sent the catalogue along with the gun for the heck of it, as I recall.... yes, that is a unique and very nice gun. You would love it, I promise. One thing I really like, quite rare on an English gun, but common on French guns, is the swamp rib, sunken down into the barrels...

What a sweetheart of a gun....no foolin'...

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I remember the model name: The Zephyr....

Also, it had a few marks in the bbls (outside, but blued over) that didn't buff out all the way when it was being "re-blacked" (them dudes say "blacked" not "blued"), but strictly cosmetic thing, and not offensive...as I recall, they were up towards the breech...

...seriously, whoever winds up with this gun would be thrilled with it's handling, and it is really beautiful....never saw one like it in any gauge in 5 years of handling and looking over thousands of English shotguns..... I'd say I'd handle 15-20 guns for every one I bought, and I sold roughly 100 guns a year.....

b'gun

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 am  Reply with quote

There's a thread over on SSM that Pete Magas put a deposit down on this one.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Brit - when a gun continually enters your life and you continually praise said gun AND you're currently on a buying spree...

Why FFS (feerfooksake - all one word) haven't you kept/bid on this thing? Smile

respectfully but curious,
Sprocket
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
Brit - when a gun continually enters your life and you continually praise said gun AND you're currently on a buying spree...

Why FFS (feerfooksake - all one word) haven't you kept/bid on this thing? Smile

respectfully but curious,
Sprocket

Excellent question that I really don't have a concrete answer for, Sprock, I guess when I sold out, a chapter titled "English shotguns" closed.... and I never could find a gun in all those brit guns that filled the bill like my Frenchie that I go on and on about all the time, and it was because of the Frenchie that I let the Zephyr go..... my tastes have changed: field grade looking guns, no engraving, functional, utilitarian, it's crazy, but that's what happened... I'm just kind of flowing with it....and after this last little fiasco with the 21, my buying spree is on sabbatical....I need to test drive what I have already acquired..... I'm locked on the Yank classics.... it's like a trout locked on No. 18 pale evening duns that won't touch a single other pattern, when a day or two before, you could have hooked him with a number 6 stimulator. It must be some sort of latent salmonid behaviour..... Smile

sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:14 am  Reply with quote

yeah - I get it now. Thanks

Oh and thanks for rubbing salt in the wound - I could be on the way to Lee's Ferry right now. - RIGHT NOW!

But no - here I sit and for what? I don't know either...
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:26 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
yeah - I get it now. Thanks

Oh and thanks for rubbing salt in the wound - I could be on the way to Lee's Ferry right now. - RIGHT NOW!

But no - here I sit and for what? I don't know either...

It's only 1:30 PM back there....there's still time..... Smile

pete magas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:06 am  Reply with quote

That Midland arrived today. I put it on a postal scale. 5.82 lbs. I love it. It's nice to have a little history on it after it arrived in the U.S. Mr. Hill, thanks for all the elbow grease on the stock. I will cherish this gun and lord willing, it will be in the grouse woods of the U.P. in the fall.
jig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck with that gun - I wouldve had it, but they wouldnt except a 3500.00 gun on trade Sad as (at least the story line went) the gun was a consignment gun. So you did get a very special gun in more ways than one. Guess you could almost say that it's worth about a grand more than you paid. Actually, that gun is priceless in that it has a history promulgated by my dear friend Duncan, or Britgun as he is affectionately know round here.

Gun seems a bit long barreled for a grouse gun Wink . let me know if it doesnt work out for you. Twisted Evil
postoak
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Pete - that Brit 18 us liable to upset those French Guns you have Laughing