16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Marlin O/U on gunbroker
Jesse168
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Well this post made me go to the gun cabinet and pull my Ranger O/U out of the cabinet. It hasn't been used in about 10 years. It's not as old as the one posted about. Serial # 64xx but it does have beautiful walnut and a good tight action.

Several years ago I tore my right shoulder rotor cup and haven't until recently been able to shoot much. This winter I was able to shoot enough to take 2 deer for the freezer with my 06. Can't wait to get back to shotgun shooting.

Jesse

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Hello Jess :

perhaps you might be interested in selling your Ranger ???

Smiling , just a thought

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all:

I just received the Marlin 90 in 16ga today ( AKA RANGER 103 ) the gun was shipped out on Tuesday of last week and UPS showed it was delivered on Thursday , funny thing it showed up today a week and one day after the day it was supposedly delivered . LOL

It was worth the money indeed it feels great and looks great as well the old gun has not been shot very much and is in great shape despite the pictures that we seen .

Will know how it shoot in a few days , I think this one might just be a keeper oh boy here I go being a Collector again LOL but all of these old guns are going to get a refurbish as soon as I get a chance to do so and most will get new wood as well .

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

I got a chance this evening after work to shoot the last 2 Marlin 90s the one in question here and another one before it , I HAVE A MAGIC WAND IN THE LAST ONE I ran 50x50 with the bottom bbl on 16s and a 48X50 from the 27 yd line with the bottom bbl , then went to the top bbl broke 48x50 on the 16s and using the top bbl on the 27 yd line broke a 47x50

Now mind you this was at 5 PM this evening and with storms coming up with winds gusting in the 30s targets were everywhere.

Then I went to shoot the one Marlin before the one mentioned in the thread , Well it wasnt so rosey a picture , alternated the top and bottom bbls and broke 46X50 from the 16 yd line and tried it at the 27 yd line with poor results of 44x50 this gun is not a magic wand but I think I could learn to shoot it quite well but it shoots lower point of impact than the first gun I shot .

This was done using 2 5/16" 3/4OZ 7 1/2 shot at 1230 fps

The top bbls seem to be just a wee bit tight , you chunk target after target untill you center one and even from the 27 it puffs em when centered , the bottom bbl is a great compromise and will allmost puff em but not quite from 27 but will puff them from the 16 .

I have decided to practice 300-500 rounds a week untill the Missouri State Shoot and compeat with the latest gun in the State Shoot , so we shall see how we do , Ben has agreed to load all the shells for me to practice and for the State ( I just dont have time with all the things I have to get done to load shells on a single stage loader ) We shall see what a 16ga will do in Competition shooting 3/4 OZ loads SMILING .

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Jim 18611865:.

I thought I would look up who turned me on to this wonderful shotgun and it was you so as I posted in another thread .

I am sending you 2 bags of the new wads when the mold is done an producing wads so be sure and contact me and let me know an address of where to send them to . Will be a little bit but we are getting there on the mold.

Oh this is the very gun I am using in the Missouri State Shoot . I have signed up for 800 targets and perhaps more on the weekend. We will have to see what the little gun will do , it already killed a Turkey lets see if it can break some targets .

One could not give me a merkel in exchange for this particular Marlin 90 I think that much of this gun.

Thanks again Charles
mbyoh
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Been off this site for a while; missed the beginnings of this thread. I have two Marlin 90's in 16ga and 12ga. The 12 is a Marlin, the 16 a Ranger. Actually, the Ranger has a bit more ornamentation- it has checkering and engraving on receiver. Same gun, but two different frame sizes. Double triggers, solid barrel ribs. Where else can you find a 16ga O/U, American made even, for this kind of price? Mine are not clunky, especially the 16ga. Personally, I'd buy any Marlin 90 I found for a decent price. Love to find a buy on one of their combo guns- a 16ga X 22 hi-power or 32-20.- at a good price.

Mike

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Mbyoh keep looking and watching one just might show up one of these days for you to purchace .

Regards Charles