16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga. for Argentina
Dove Hunter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:10 am  Reply with quote

I am planning an Argentina trip for doves. It will be my first time there. I had planned on taking a 16 as one of my guns but wonder about ammunition availability. Can anyone enlighten me? Is it practical to take a 16 on this trip?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:16 am  Reply with quote

not unless you can take your ammo with you. A 12 ga with choke tubes or a pair of barrles makes the most sense for trips across the border.
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:44 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

07oct05

I've made the pilgrimage to Argentina. While I shoot a 16ga. at doves most of the time here in the States, I wouldn't want a 16ga. in Argentina. I wouldn't want a 12 either.

1) They really make their money on the ammo. The more you shoot the more they make. Since, Argentina is all about high volume, count on taking some cash with you. They are set up for 12 and 20ga., 28ga. is usually more. I can only imagine the cost per box if you asked for 16.

2) A 12 and a 16 are more than you need to drop a dove. You probably don't need the extra recoil (x1000 shells a day) of the bigger guns. You'll actually get tired shouldering the gun so many times. I found my 28ga.OU to be a magic wand down there, especially with the tighter chokes. After a while, the best shots of my life became routine with it and i didn't even notice the recoil.

Upland hunting is where the 16ga. shines. You are not dove hunting in Argentina, you are dove shooting. But its a fantasy come true. Just writing this makes me want to go back. Enjoy yourself.

16ga.

If you are looking for a place to go, I can recommend a great one. Send a PM if you are still looking.
NE16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Don’t know about Argentina, but ammo prices in Paraguay are completely crazy and I don’t imagine they are a lot different across the border in Argentina. I’d go with a 20 preferably something in a gas auto because of the volume of shooting that you’ll be doing.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:56 am  Reply with quote

I've been told (never been myself) that a pair of 20 gauge gas autoloaders makes the most sense for south of the border volume shooting. I'd be bummed, but, not distressed if they disappeared, and the recoil wouldn't kill you.
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:31 am  Reply with quote

There is one more consideration to think of--waterfowling. It is not uncommon to be offered the chance at some fairly great duck shooting while you are in Argentina. One of the biggest expenses is getting there and back. Since you are already there, why not be prepared to take any opportunity offered. That is twelve gauge territory. Like I said, the 12 is the universal gauge. Be prepared for anything that far away from home. If your gun does not have a good recoil pad, get one. Oh, and bring the Ben-gay for your shoulder. If things go well, you will need it, regardless of what gauge you shoot or how good the pad is.

Also, if you are based anywhere near the mountains and can handle one, pack a #6, 9' four piece flyrod and a reel with floating and a sinking lines on extra spools. The trout fishing can be fantastic too. They will have the flies you will use and will show you the right method of presenting them (All hunting and fishing lore is local, so listen up). However, if you do not flyfish, it is not a good time or place to learn. Choose a spinning reel. If you don't fish much, politely pass and consentrate on the shooting.

Forget the tango lessons. The folks who host you will only be impressed by how well you handle a gun or a rod, period. So if your wingshooting is weak, get thee to a skeet range and practice low gun, move-mount-shoot style skeet until it is solid before you hie off to the Pampas. Good shooting will pay off in spades all around. You will earn their respect and doors will open. Trust me here. By the way, competant shooting and other outdoor skills will usually pay of in dividends anywhere you might go except maybe at a "Million Mom March!" Laughing

Also be very warm, patient, and polite. Argentinians are usually warm, friendly folks, but very proud, a tad more warm but formal at first than most Americans, and usually very polite. You will find them very receptive to a warm smile, a firm, confident, and ernest handshake, a gentlemanly considerate manner, and a keen but gentle sense of humor (the universal languages).

If you are treated rudely and ignored or fluffed off by the host and staff, get the hell out of there fast. Something is very wrong and the trip will be a bust, period. Feign a slight illness if need be and go back to Buenas Aires and be a tourist until it is time to fly back home. It is a lovely city with much old world charm. Your time there will really take the sting out of a busted trip. Then confront the outfitter with the situation when you return. He either screwed up badly, or there were unexpected circumstances beyond his control. If he is on the level, he will fix the problem and usually will make amends. If not, you've been screwed and should let us all know about his bad behavior.

By the way, I hope you also like meat like beef, sausages, and such. Argentina has some of the best steak and chop dining in the world. Many of the eating establishments will serve your party a huge common platter of mixed roasted and broiled meats, usually rare unless you ask for well done (on second thought, don't bother, they do not look kindly on ruining good meat. They will think you "un loco Norde Americano" and you might even get thrown out Wink ), a bowl of coarse salt to season it with, pepper if you ask-- sometimes, some of the usually excellent Argentinian beer (they have a large German/northern Italian population) and/or red wine commonly laced with fruit and juice, and not much else. Be prepared to eat like a 19th century mountain man. You will either walk out stuffed to the gills or they will probably be insulted. Argentina is definately not much of a place for vegatarians. I hope you really have a great trip. 16GG.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I have not been to Argentina but have a few friends who have. It seems like a 20 gauge operation. I'm not sure if 16 ga ammo is even available. You should check with them first. They seem good about e-mailing back.
I did check with a place in Mexico accross the border from Brownsville Texas. You could take two guns but only 4 boxes of shells over the border. Any additional shells cost $11 a box. I could run up a pretty good bill at that place.