16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Sportsman 48
D-Rock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I have an auto-loader Model Sportsman 48. Is this gun of value? Can I get a forearm for it? Any idea what year this gun came out?

Thanks
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

D,
Remington made two models called the Sportsman. One was a three shot version of the Model 11-48 that was made in 12,16 and 20 from 1931 to 1949. It was made in a 26 inch barrel only.

The other version was the Model 48 Mohawk (Sportsman). This was a less expensive version of the Model 11-48, kind of like the 870 Express today.
It was made from 1949 to 1960. This was also a three shot version.

There were almost 500,000 of these made in the two variations, so you should be able to find parts for one. Try Numrich Arms, they will probably have parts for one.

They are a reliable long recoil design that was just a less expensive version of the 11-48. They are pretty good guns. I have 11-48's in 16, 20 and 28 and they are well made and useable.
Good Luck!
TB
________
TAOISM FORUMS

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:47 am  Reply with quote

We have been able to sway Remington in selling us a special order of R16 wads. Why not ask them to build a 16 on the LT-20 frame. That would be one sweet gun. They have a corporate web site with a wish list section. I'll bet if everyone on this web site contacted them, it could happen. What have we got to loose? Lets go for it.
popplecop
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a nice Rem. 48 Sporstsman today, very nice shape. Has a couple minor dings in the stock, blueing good, 28" full choke, plain barrel. Has a broken firing pin, but that is easy to replace and will get done shortly. Not a real big auto loader fan but it is a 16 and will go with my old Browning Sweet 16. Can never have too many 16s.
Rpriestly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I acquired a 16 ga. sportsman48 a couple of years ago, in not the best shape. Cleaned it up as well as I could and went to the skeet range.
Absolutely devistating. Ran a 98 with this old rust bucket. The best shooting gun I have. It's the only one I use anymore for hunting partridge and deer (shotgun only in mass.). Might as well sell everything else.
If you might want to sell it, mine might need a twin.
popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been shooting mine since I got. Have to admit I'm kind of fond of it.Have been using it for ducks with Kent Matrix and bismuth, seeing it's full choke. Pattterns both well at 35 yds., and that's all that matters to me. My son took my 11-48 16 with the IC choke, now will have to find another one.