16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16ga Hunter Special @ Hamburg,PA Cabela's
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Made a quick stop at Cabela's on my way back from NYC today. They had a rather nice Hunter Arms HS on the used rack. 90-95%color, 90% barrel blue, bore/ chambers were pristine, lock-up was like new, lever well to the right, wood was decent but could use a refinish if one were inclined, barrels rang nicely and I didn't notice any dings or dents in them. I only spent 5 minutes looking at it but it definitely is worth a closer look. Price was $800 (not unreasonable, but a little high in my opinion). I inquired about negotiating on the price and was told they don't budge unless you are trading something. Go figure Surprised .

All the best
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, and if you trade something expect to be low balled. I realize they're in business to make money, but they'll want to make it at both ends of the deal. Much better off to sell your gun than take their trade, in my experience. Some folks (weigh in, Larry B Very Happy !) will tell you they'll deal, but the KC store wouldn't with me.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
postoak
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

They often will deal with me, at the Ft. Worth store.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:31 am  Reply with quote

I'd say that's not an outrageous price for a Hunter Special--they're pretty unusual (and pretty good) guns. But it'd be better if it were $100 less.

Cabela's and dealing . . . I've dealt with several of their stores, and I've never found one that wouldn't deal, either cash or trade. On a gun in that price range, unless they've had it for some time, I would not expect them to come down over $100.

I was in the KC store (no one knew me there) back in December. They had a Bernardelli 12 I was interested in, I think priced at $1500. I offered a trade; the guy there obviously didn't know much about what I offered him (and I don't even remember what it was), and came back--apologetically--with a pretty lowball offer, said the guy who runs the place would probably do better, but he wasn't in that day. So I said, how about cash? And he immediately knocked down their price something like $150.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:11 am  Reply with quote

I can't get the Hunter Special to come up on any Cabela site. From what I see, their prices on classic SXSs are at least 25% over everyone else.. As for dealing, I would give odds that they don't get those prices on one out of ten guns on a cash sale.. They have $1499 on a 16 bore NID with a cut stock, 13 !/2" LOP to an after market pad.. Only someone totally ignorant of Double gun prices would pay that.. But like P T Barnum said.... As for dealing, I wouldn't go in the PA store and offer $700 for the Hunter Special, unless I really wanted to take it home.. MDC
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

The KC store wouldn't budge off their price on a 20ga Fulton with a butt plate that looked like it had been fitted with a chain saw. Plus I had a bunch of hassles with them even getting to look at it which I already related here a while back. I like their store for fishing stuff, and if I happen to be there, I'll look at the guns. If they had something I really wanted I'd try it again. Will I go out of my way to do it? Nah. Burn me once, shame on you; burn me twice, shame on me.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

It wasn't my intent to start another will they/ won't they debate on Cabela's dealing policies. I only mentioned that in case anyone was interested in the gun, they would know what they were going in to. If I had had the cash on me and had more than the fifteen minutes I had to look around, I probably would have pushed harder on the gun. Kinda regretting not having picked it up at this point Sad .

MDC- it isn't on their website. They had it out on their well used rack, not the fine gun room.

Cheers
Marcus

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

They have a lot of guns that don't show up on their website. It varies from store to store, but their website tends to be out of date, both in terms of things they don't have posted, and guns that are posted but may be sold. Their Gun Libraries aren't exactly staff-heavy, and because of the traffic in a typical Cabela's, they spend a lot of time dealing with browsers.

They've also lost some good people lately, in at least 3 stores I know of (talking all GL heavy hitters). The way I see it, there aren't enough guns out there to keep all the "pemium" venues stocked as well as they should be, and there sure as heck aren't enough knowledgeable guys around to run all those premium venues. The Gun Libraries feature premium rifles and handguns as well as shotguns, so they need people with a pretty broad knowledge/experience base.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

I would imagine that a store of the Cabelas size would have a hrfty cost per square foot. Much greater than a small gunshop. So, I would imagine their guns to be a bit pricier.

Even a store like Griffin and Howe, will have a much higher than normal price range on even a low end gun. Stores like that don't do volume sales, so every sale that they do, must have a higher profit margin.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
It wasn't my intent to start another will they/ won't they debate on Cabela's dealing policies.

Sorry; probably my fault on the dealing thing. Thanks for the heads up on the gun. Like Larry said, not too many Hunter Specials out there!

Fin

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Fin- no big deal man. I just was hoping I could help someone out. If any of you guys pick it up, please let me know. I'm thinking I may make the 1 1/2hr drive back if I get a chance sometime soon.

I had been up for 30+ hours and 3 hrs sleep the night before. Left my place at 2:00 am, drove to NYC, picked up a good friend who had been in Afghanistan, turned around and drove back, sat in traffic for a few hours (witnessed a rear ender involving the two cars in front of me Shocked ) . I may not have been in quite a right state of mind at that point. Hindsight Very Happy !

Marcus