16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fox Sterlingworth 16 ?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats, Sage. Shoot it well and enjoy!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16minty
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on the new gun, sounds like a good deal. Prices on those sterlingworths is really getting up there now. I havent seen any in shops around here for less than a 1000.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:02 am  Reply with quote

The problem with the hard kicking probably has a lot to do with the loads. American factory 1 oz 16's tend to be pretty hot. They're OK on birds, but you'll notice it if you put a couple boxes through a light gun on targets. Best solution is to get into reloading if you're going to be a serious 16er, and work up 7/8 oz reloads. All the difference in the world!
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Sage I think you did pretty well. Sounds like the old SW is pretty tightly choked which indicates that the barrles weren't screwed with. Also gives you the option on chokes if you decide to open them up a bit. I would take her out to the pattern board to see if the current chokes meet your shooting requierments before making any decisions on choke atlerations.

You have a great old shooter and as the say your SW has "good bones" and is a fine candidate for refurbishment or upgrade .

Store bought ammunition can give you a pretty good wolop. I reload a 7/8th ounce load at 1130 fps which tames the recol significantly in my 6 1/4 lb Foxes.

The Winchester Super-X 1 ounce load is about the softest shooting store bought load that I have tried. You might give them a try but if you are going to shoot a lot of clay targets you will probably want to get into reloading and there is a lot of reloading information from the 16 Gauge Group.