16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gun Safe Recomendations
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

No one mentioned the old big cement lined document safes. I have one in my office containing a small portion of my collection. Some further bits of advice from a paranoid New Yorker...

First, wrap the safe in blankets when it ciomes off the truck and into the house. Neighbors don't need to know you have a safe. Also, the blankets will protect the walls and your safe.

Second, for the same reason as above, store the safe in a closet. As in, away from curious eyes.

Third, tell your wife the combination. Suppose Joe Dirtbag breaks in while you're hunting, and demands your wife open the safe or die! Worst case scenario... you lose 3 days hunting due to the wake. Then, your buddy shoots a record book buck ... from your stand, no less.Seriously, think about what others think when they see a safe. Or guns. My shotguns taken down, and placed in a duffel when they come with me. My bolt rifles are in a large hardside case which has a canvas cover embroidered on it... "Caution, precision hole boring equipment".

Good luck.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
sbs470
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Hey Prussian Gun Guy
My good mate has a great way of traveling with his Double rifles, not unlike your systen.He has a large Aluminium custom made gun case that can accomadate up to four double rifles worth about 100K. He and all his family have been and still are very much involved in the funeral business.He has emblazoned in large red letters the name of the funeral home and morticions for all to see .Nobody ever wants to look in his gun case.

good shooting
sbs470
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:01 am  Reply with quote

The NRA's American Rifleman did a comparison some months back. They said Cannon came out on top.

I bought a Browning gun vault door and frame, the basic no-frills model, scratch n dent for $1200 a few years ago.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/safes/detail.asp?cat_id=160&type_id=39601&value=003F

I have an interior stone wall separating rooms in my circa 1800 farmhouse. I took out the rocks and straw and mud plaster holding them in place, welded in boiler plate for floor, roof and walls, then re-cemented everything back in place. I used contact cement to glue carpet to the interior. Put up shelves and racks and a rope light. Handguns mount to interior door carpet via velcro straps.

Definitely a walk-in vault that holds all the guns I could ever want, plus fishing tackle and important papers that no longer have to be stored in a safe deposit box at the bank costing $60 year for a tiny volume. The door has built-in fire protection and I bought and installed a perimeter fire seal to the frame itself.

Interior dimensions are 83" high, 35" wide, by 36" deep. And it just might double as a bomb shelter with that much stone and 1\4" steel plate for protection. Btw, it does have an interior lock release! With 22 door bolts 1 and 1\4" in diameter, it is stronger than a portable safe. But to paraphrase my old boss when I worked for him installing burglar\fire alarm systems, any device will only keep an honest person, honest. A professional thief, given enough time, will defeat any system ever made. I hope I've made mine more trouble to a thief than the contents are worth.

RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

sbs470 wrote:
Hey Prussian Gun Guy
My good mate has a great way of traveling with his Double rifles, not unlike your systen.He has a large Aluminium custom made gun case that can accomadate up to four double rifles worth about 100K. He and all his family have been and still are very much involved in the funeral business.He has emblazoned in large red letters the name of the funeral home and morticions for all to see .Nobody ever wants to look in his gun case.

You could also put this on the side of your gun case.

I had a lead paint analyzer with the radiation symbol on the case and you could pretty much clear any area or sit by yourself in a restaurant for lunch if you carried that baby in. Might cause some issues at the airport though! I definately wouldn't leave it at curbside check-in with your travel alarm clock inside it! Very Happy

Regards,

Ralph

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure that security at JFK would even notice it. About a month ago, Federal agents (clearing the grounds for the president) found a homeless man living in a make-shift shanty, in a restricted area. But, if I had a valuable lap-top in my luggage...

Like I always say... "They hired the fox to watch the chicken coop"!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzer, those are some big ass trout reels.

henryrski
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestions to go big, it seems other stuff besides guns end up in them. I just purchased a Fort Knox and am very pleased with it, easy to operate electronic lock and nice looking.
onefunzr2 are those Penns or Shimanos?
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Davy, All you need is a fold down bunk in that big boy and you're ready for a nuclear attack.Seriously, if I ever build again, something like yours is at the top of the list on the floor plan. Thanks for letting us have a look. Fred

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:24 am  Reply with quote

I'm guessing Penns. To gold for the shimano's

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 am  Reply with quote

I gave up on put 'n take trout fishing in '79. Have not fished sweet water since. Those are Penn International II's...30 class wide spool and a 50 wide, both on Fenwick standup all roller guide rods.

Call me what you will, but I'm a sucker for products made, not only in the USA, but especially made in Pennsylvania...Sunoco 260 gasoline, Hershey chocolate, Harley-Davidson motorcycles, Mack trucks, and the not-to-be-forgotten, Bethlehem steel. I especially bought my 16ga Rizzini cause they're located in West Chester, PA. Sorry, that's just the way I am.

Why would anybody buy Shimano when Penn is made 60 miles away in Philadelphia, is celebrating 75 years in business, and holds over 1400 IGFA world records. Shimano? You've got to be kidding! I own 8 other saltwater reels and every one of them is a PENN. Good product and good product support.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote

so, the company that just bought penn is going to keep it here? Just wondering.
all my penn 50's are on Altenkirch custom standups, as are the fin nor 80's and the Penn 2 speed 130's.(the 80's and 130's are bent butt chair/gunnel gear)
The sailfish rods have the shimano stuff

Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 am  Reply with quote

I bought an AmSec safe in 1998, which measured 60"H'x30"Wx28"D, and its interior was the 13 gun "easy out". Like most of you, I've outgrown the safe, and began looking for a bigger safe. Then I remembered the locksmith I bought the safe from gave me another interior setup which I had stuffed into the rear of a closet.

I had 7 guns that wouldn't fit into the safe's present interior setup. I emptied the safe, and swapped out interior setups. All the guns easily fit with room for about 5 more. I did lose a couple of shelves by doing this.

You might want to contact the company you bought your present safe from to see if a different interior layout is available that holds more guns at the expense of losing some shelves.

My locksmith told me when he delivered the safe, that most of these safes come with the various interiors broken down inside them, then the retailer sets up the interior as specified by the buyer. So your seller may have a few other setups just laying around he would give you cheap.

When the locksmith delivered my safe, he also put it in my house where I wanted it, and changed the combination to one I specified. All for no extra charge provided he wasn't having to place it in the basement or second floor. He was great to do business with, and the least expensive of those I had spoken with. He is still doing business in western PA, and delivers to eastern Ohio quite often.