16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Wingmaster 16
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ted,

The Bruchet Darne was a little offended to share safe space with the 870 but I reassured her that the 870 was infact a 16 gauge and that 16's are always welcome. The Darne agreed and we all went out together and shot some dove.

What, like you guys don't talk to your guns Wink
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

That's Darne nice Laughing Sorry, couldn't resist.
rayb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

your 870 sounds like mine. it's a 16 gauge, shoots 16 gauge ammo, but it's no model 12 or Browning o/u when it comes to size and handling. still, it is a good solid gun for still / sitting style of dove hunting, or at the trap field (well, at least it's a better shot than its owner) Very Happy

rayb

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Plus, the 870 can be used for a passing fair canoe paddle like My buddy did last year while duck hunting. His is a 12 of course. But he loves that gun. He got it at K-mart on closeout several years back for well under $200 new w/ a deer barrel to boot. A more practical repeater cannot be had. It will last you and several of your decendents their entire lives with minimal care. He kids me all the time about being too high faluting. He does shoot just as many birds as I do, and his dog adores him. What more can one ask in a hunting buddy. Well, maybe he could spring for the coffee more often...oh well.
Del Mc Cubbin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

I agree the new 870 16s are way to heavy. I got lucky and found a 870 16 made in 1950 with the redish wood and a plain barrel with the matting on the top of the barrel, larger style forarm. This gun weighs 6 1/2 lbs. with a 28" barrel. I opened the choke to .015 choke or Mod. and lengthed the forcing cones and polished everything in side the gun. Did I mentioned this gun was in unfired conidtion. 100% blue and wood. Price was less than $300. I feel lucky....
Tulsey
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:00 am  Reply with quote

I have found all the talk on various forums about the weight of the 16 ga 1100 and 870 very interesting. No doubt the 1100 in 16 is pretty heavy, but the talk about frame sizes and new vs old got to do a little weighing.

My Rem 870 16 ga on a 12 ga frame with a 28 inch plain barrel that has been tapped for screw in chokes and has a Hogue composite stock and forearm weights 6 pounds 12 ounces.

Just for comparison, my Ithica "featherlight" model 37 that has a wood stock, vent rib and an aluminum Cutts body which measures about 23 inches or so to the chamber side of the Cutts, and built on its own 20 ga frame weighs exactly the same 6 pounds 12 ounces.

Not sure exactly what that means, but you can have a relatively light 16 ga on a 12 ga frame.
budrichard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:52 am  Reply with quote

For reference my 1939 16 gauge Model 37 with 28" plain barrel weighs 6#'s 5.7oz. My 1970's (Impressed Checkering) era Remington 20 gauge Wingmaster Lightweight Magnum with 28" barrel weighs 6#'s 2.0 oz. Remington used to know how to make lightwieght pumps.-Dick
BTW my Bruchet/Darne 16 gauge with 65cm barrels weighs 6# 0.4oz.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Dick,
Sorry about that .4 ozs!!!

Hows the season going?

Best,
Ted
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Waterfowl season has been slow with only one Canada during the Early local season. The numbers are way down at the Horicon zone. Warm weather? Flight patterns? I only know that the numbers have been steadily decreasing over the last 20 years and this is the worst.
Put the 16 Bruchet/Darne to the test on chukers at a game farm. Fastest gun there! Just mount, point and shoot when the gun reaches the shoulder before the bird gets a lot of horizontal velocity. Hopefully we will get some grouse shooting during November.-Dick