16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  stock designs and LOP.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:16 am  Reply with quote

I recently broke out the oldest of my two model 37 Ithacas for a couple or three rounds of skeet last week. It is now t-shirt and shorts weather, and I was dressed in such ( some folks say I look like a beer keg on stilts when I don shorts). I began the round by shooting well over the station one high house bird and managed to jam my right thumb knuckle up my nose to boot. Stock a bit short? I think so.

Soooo... I get a yard stick and measure. 14-1/4 inch, just like last year. I didn't think stocks shrink over time. At least it's never happened before. I'm also not getting any taller since I stopped gaining height four decades ago. (We won't discuss the spreading out I've done since then--at least I won't Rolling Eyes.)

Back at the ranch, I cut out a few spacers out of closed cell foam and adjusted the LOP a bit with some well applied duck tape. It feels perfect yet it's a 1/4 inch longer than on any other gun I've ever owned and shot. Wierd!!!

I shot a few rounds again with the 37 this weekend. Dead on. Smoke balls at nearly every station, and thankfully, I did not once jam my thumb knuckle up my nose. I guess it goes to show that each gun is a law unto itself. We need to find out what works for us with any stock design and not assume one LOP will be right for all our guns.

If you own a model 37 and are having a bit of trouble getting on target or from jamming your thumb knuckle up your own nose every time you pull the trigger (it's not considered polite to jam it up anyone else's), it might help to adjust the LOP a bit longer on the gun. The stock design on this gun seems to warrant it.

I will probably remove the spacers in time for hunting season when I'm wearing more than a T-shirt. However, i'm also going to leave the stock a tad longer at first to see how I shoot with it. It might keep me from having an impacted thumb knuckle up my shnozz. My hunting pants hide the knobby stilts I have for legs nicely, thank you very much.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:44 am  Reply with quote

I have too much dignity to make a joke --Does your doctor know you walk on those legs Shocked or to make a comment on the use of a non factory-no big name recoilpad or lop adjuster commonly refered to as a tight ass Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes
8+8
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

(some folks say I look like a beer keg on stilts when I don shorts)

I can relay to that.
Not too long ago I saw a buddy in a pair shorts for the first time since high school, for a few seconds, I thought he was riding a chicken.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:50 am  Reply with quote

Is the drop in the stock your reason for increasing the LOP Question