16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  AyA vs. Arrieta
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, whats your opinions on these makers and their guns overall?

Looking specifically at sidelocks (I know Arrieta only makes SL).

Take care!!!

Greg
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Both are fine, well made guns. You couldn't go wrong either way. Pick the one that appeals to your eye the most.

Just make sure she fits right.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:14 am  Reply with quote

If you're serious about these guns I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of "Spanish Best" by Terry Wieland.
Everything you'll need to know about hi end Basque gun makers.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Thnaks Pete, already have the book. I'm kind of looking at real owners who have peronal experience with thes guns.

Thanks so much!

Greg
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:00 am  Reply with quote

OK, that's a horse of a different color!
I have an 1999 AyA No2 that I love.
The only Arrieta I've owned is a SL made in the 60's. Mechanically it's a nice gun, but the enraving and wood quality are nowwhere near what they make now.
Both above are 16s.

Not really sure if you're asking which is a better value if choosing between 2 of similar price, or who makes the better gun regardless of cost.

On a general note, I also have new Grulla 28 and a 60's vintage V Sarasqueta 12.
Both nice guns, but.........
Just last month I bought a 1980 Arrizabalaga 12, which will likey become the gun against which all others are measured. It's at the smith getting a few things done, but if it shoots as good as it looks, I'll have found my new go to gun.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:49 am  Reply with quote

GJW,

I can really help you decide your new Spanish gun if you can just let me know if you are talking new or used.

I have owned every type of Spanish gun one can think of. I have also ordered 11 bespoke Spanish guns from various dealers. The Spanish can make real lemons or the best damn gun you have ever owned.

I personally prefer the Arrieta.

email me and we can talk.

Arrieta 28 bore bespoke 570:

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Brian, you need to talk to this guy! Soon!

nice pics btw!
ejsxs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

gjw,

not easy subject, pricewise they are similar, AYA offers more models: boxlocks, sidelocks, pigeon guns, superposed, etc. Arrieta offers only two different actions and a series of different grades of engraving. There is debate on the degree of finish, that seems gives Arrieta the upperhand, myself not sure about this. According to AYA, they produce the forged actions for all the Spanish fine makers as well for the export market. All this made me to select AYA in the endEJSXS.
Dongotto
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I have an AYA 4/53 in 16ga, and I shoot it better on wild birds than any other side by side I own.

scotgun
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have no experience with AYA. I have owned a pair of Arrietas 12 bores for over 20 years and a pair of 20's for 18. They were purchased in Madrid and delivered within six months. I no longer shoot either, but for the first ten years I gave the 12's a fair amount of exercise on driven birds in the UK and Spain.
The only problem I had with the 12's was with the original firing pins. I assume they were not heat treated properly. At least I began to have too many misfires, (about 10% with Eley cartridges-which have very sturdy primers. There was no problem with USA cartridges). While in Scotland, I had new firing pins made by John Dickson and that solved the problem. I contacted Arrieta about the problem and about six months later they sent at no cost a handfull of firing pins, hammers and springs. I have never used any of them, since there has been no more problems.
The only problem with the 20's was a horrible trigger pull on the left barrel of the #2 gun. This was rectified by a great gunsmith.
You should note their are several grades of Arrietas.
Scotgun