16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Baikal Model IZH27
john555
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have been looking at this Russiam made O/U in sixteen gauge. Appears to be a solid gun, comes with screw in chokes and vent rib. Was considering buying it ( the price is right) and running a lot of shells through it at the skeet range. Give the old Browning a holiday. Anyone used one of these guns?
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
I dove hunted with a guy that had one in 12 gauge and he said he liked it. I didn't shoot it so I can only say he was happy.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

They may function well; but the fit and finish of all Russian shotguns leave a lot to be desired Sad
jcdawg83
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I have a 20 gauge o/u and it shoots great. Not the finest looking, but does well for quail and skeet.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one in 12 ga. years ago to drag thru the brush.They ain't pretty but beat scratching up my Browning's.I wouldn't hesitate about buying another. They are not the handfit guns we have come to expect but come on ---for the price you can't go wrong.Plus another 16!!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Parker Trojan,
Not so fast on the "all Russian guns" comment. At the turn of the century, there existed is Russia builders of truly best guns. I've seen photos of guns produced by Russian (as opposed to Soviet) craftsman that were spectacular, easily the rival of anything coming out of England, Europe, or the USA at the time. One such gun featured a concave rib, checkered its entire length, in a flawless, and tiny pattern.
The new guns are beaters, no doubt, but, I would be willing to bet that a few of the gunmakers in the Tula region are capable of first class work today-if you pay them for it.
Best,
Ted
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Ted: I stand corrected; you are correct and in the future I'll refer to Eastern European crap as Soviet and not Russian.We don't carry any Soviet guns in our store and the two Turkish Mossbergs [you know, the ones with the gold parrots? on the reciever] that we brought in both broke before a customer ever left the store with them or a shot was ever fired through either gun.
Life is short[like me] and meant to be enjoyed; My brush breaker/ rain gun is a Parker VHE 12ga that I bought for $800. I just finished reading Charles Fergus' "A Hunters Book of Days" ; a fine read and his "bramble breaker" is a W.J.Jeffery.We don't spend enough days in the field to put up with poorly made, ugly guns; I just converted my mid-week partner from a Remington 1100 to a Webley & Scott prewar 12ga [$1600] and several years ago I converted my protege' from an 870 express to a nice, little Janssen 16ga [$500]. Happy Hunting