16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  How are Estate hulls for reloading???
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Local shop has 16ga Estate shell, worth reloading over Rem Game loads??
Haiwee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't say over the Rem Game Loads, but if they're at the right price they should be good. I've never used any of the 16 gauge Estate hulls, but have loaded lots of the 28 gauge. They're made by Federal, and use the same data (now, again, I've only used the 28's, so I'm going on the assumption the 16's are the same -- maybe someone here can confirm that for us). I get five or six reloads before the crimp folds start to split.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Your correct about the purple hulls from Estate and Federal being the same. I have been loading them the same for this last year.
Best,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Federal and Estate hulls are one and the same design. The plastic used in the tube can vary from lot to lot. The crimps possible will vary from excellent to downright miserable depending on the properties of the plastic.

A word of caution is advisable. These hulls have a rolled paper base wad. Be certain to check every hull with a flat bottomed 7/16" diameter dowel to make certain the base wad is firmly in place. Do this immediately after depriming the case. Any hulls that show a lifted of loose base wad should be junked.

Also, be sure to discard any of these hulls that have gotten wet inside. Once moisture hits that paper base wad, the hull is junk. Don't attempt to dry them out for use. The wet, expanded base wad will shrink back to normal, but the tube around it will remain expanded. Throw them out.

We reloaders have been spoiled by hulls with plastic base wads or one piece construction. We need to learn and heed the lessons our dads and grandads knew about reloading paper hulls and hulls with paper or fiber base wads.
Rick Timmers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:57 am  Reply with quote

16gauge guy,

Is there a "danger" to the shooter if the hull was or is slightly wet? The Federals I pick up on the range look fine. The bottoms of the inside don't look compromised - Yet I don't check every hull.

Regards
mdoerner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Just make sure they're dry now and the basewad hasn't separated from the base of the hull. If the basewad is damp that will screw up your ignition.

Mike Doerner
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:52 am  Reply with quote

If they are damp, just decap them. They will dry much quicker.
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:04 am  Reply with quote

....and turn them on their side, so the air can flow more easily.

Mike Doerner
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Back in the 1970's when we shot & reloaded 12 ga. WW AA's I would clean them in the clothes washer. Would stick them in a net bag, a little laundry soap, set the machine on light load with low water and they would come out like new. We decaped the batch before the wash job. The powder we used was the old Hercules red Dot, that was a dirty powder.

If you do this make sure after you clean the washer well. The Boy's and I would send the Ladies in the Family to the Shopping Center for the day on Saturdays when we would clean hulls. This was kinda a noisy operation to say the least. Surprised
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

That method works for an all-plastic hull. Put Federal Hulls in your washing machine, and you clean the basewads right out of 'em.... Shocked

Mike Doerner