16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Edict Question or Too Much to Ask
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am  Reply with quote

I don't see what your calling a "tradition" at all. All I see is a need to be compensated for the fact that one has dogs! I have enjoyed hunting all my life and have never asked / hinted beer / money to anyone. That isn't what its all about. Here on my place we have loaned shotguns, ammo , ect. to folks we have envited so they could have a good time and get to enjoy our sport. Many times we have received a phone call from these people later on telling us they have purchased a shotgun and have become very interested in shooting and hunting. Thats the kind of compensation my Wife and I like.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 am  Reply with quote

From the guest's end of the spectrum:

I hunt over my two brothers' dogs a lot, especially the setters of my brother who's nearest in locale and who's next to me in age. I've offered dozens of times to pick up his share of the tab on preserves or state put-and-take site. He always refuses.

So, I give him stuff. If I find a hellacious deal on something gun or hunting related, I get at least two...one for each of us. I bring him a flat of shells whenever he'll let me. I give him a $20 for claybirds if we pasture shoot off his Trius. It's as much as he'll take. Have given him a lot of pretty nice hunting/shooting clothes 'cause I didn't care for the fit or just because I've got too darn many things in the closet. We've gone out several times when his upland fashions are almost entirely by moi.

He needs a house/kid/dog sitter, I'm there. Silly bugger bought me the Traveling Wilburys 3 disc set (2 CDs and a DVD) last time I did a 3-day stint, even though I told him to forget about it. He listens about as well as I do, which is "not very."

What can I say? I've got a great bro. All I know is I'll never do anything to screw up this situation. I think I'll check his shell stock next time I'm over there and see what he's short on, then just bring a flat or two next time I go. His boy loves to shuck a Model 42, so I think I'll just put a flat of .410s in the truck to start with.

My best friends are my own two brothers...and one's a good Lab daddy and the other loves the Lews. And all of the dogs go bonkers happy when I show up. Both my bros' wives treat me like gold and are outstanding cooks who like to see a big man eat. One of the sisters-in-law say jump, I ask "how high" on the way up.

I'm a lucky man.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am  Reply with quote

If I hunt a preserve by myself, I pay. If my friends come along and hunt over my dog, I pay. With someone else shooting over my dog, I have the opportunity to pay close attention to what the dog is doing and critique his performance and/or adjust training. Also, the dog gets on many more birds than he would hunting with me alone. So it is mutually beneficial as far as I am concerned. Most insist on contributing gas money, since I have the truck and dog. The tradition is that I always shoot the first bird and we take turns after that. I don't expect monetary compenstation for camaraderie and time afield.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

I think if you expect compensation from companions for hunting over your dogs, you are not hunting with friends, you are hunting with customers.

Matt