16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Just picked up my marlin 90, and it isnt good news..
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Got a Ranger model 103 off gunbroker, Marlin made 16ga same as model 90. DT's and solid rib btwn the barrels. finish was advertised as badly worn, and it is. No suprised there. I emailed them about the action and stock dimnsions. They replied action is fine, and gave me drop. Decide what the heck, didn't bid up real high, so I won the auction.

They shipped it last week and I got it from my FFL tonight. First off in the shop noticed the there is some movement in barrel to reciever lock-up. Not super excited abvout this, but given the condition of the gun overall, not shocked either. My FFL says a new hinge pin install should tighten the old girl up.. Makes sense. Was kinda buying a project, so not just figured I'm in for a a little more to get her where I want here...

Then I get home and load in the snap caps. Good news is both chambers are cocking and function when pull the triggers. Take off the fore end, wiggle doesn't change much, so still thinking the pin might just get the job done... Then I notice the welds on both sides of the barrel lump.

they are not particulaly nice welds. I'm not a welder, but I know what nice welds are supposed to look like. doesn't look like they got the lump back into place as you can still see the crack in the lump between the welds looking at the front of the hook. Now Im thinking I've got a nice piece of pre-war wall art here..

Here's the auction
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77634754

I haven't Emailed the seller yet. Would like the gun to be fixable, but I'm not sure it will be. If they take it back, I'm probably out shipping both ways, and my ffl fee on this end. That doesn't make me too happy. just wanted to get some opinions here before I get back to the seller.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

then return it.
You're talking about trying to restore a 50+ year old action that majority of parts are readily available.
Notify the seller and take close-up photo's.
I was takaen on a bayonet by a gunbroker shill that fronted for the actual seller and gunbroker was no help.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Return it . thats BS to sell a guy someting like that. Tell em about the welds. Since it isn't in thier description all the jerks can say is we didn't see it. The $ loss is better that the amount to fix a dead horse. That gun is not quality enough to put $ into. I always make a point of asking for pix of the gun broke done to be able to see the action / lump, ect. Also I drive them nuts with questions and if they become annoyed with my questions tell em what they can do with the gun. I don't buy from pawn shops / gun dealers online that I have never heard of either. I'm sorry you got deal a junker by these jerks. They have no right peddling crap like that.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Here's some pics I got this AM. Looks like the crack I was seeing is through the weld on one side. Failure of previous action repair.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sixteener/RangerMarlin

(hit the slide show button for the best resolution.)

Pics in G'broker add *seem* to do a pretty good job of not clearly showing the fact that the action lever is past 6 o'clock as my straight on pic clearly shows.

Good thing is I paid with credit card.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Dealer has emailed me back, and is going to give me a refund. I hope everything goes smooth with getting this resolved.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Dean:

This is a botch job done with a SMAW and it shows , The big question is did the bottom bbl get hot enough to displace the Brazing of the Monoblock and the barrels ??? Is this the gun that sold for $336 ???

I will give everone an inservice on these guns ( now this is not the same thing with this gun it has had a botch job of the worst way done to it )

You do not need a new hinge pin with these guns to set the barrels back on the face , in fact a little loose is good , what you use is the forearm iron and place a take up screw , between the lug and the iron or a simple bit of paper to tide you over will tighten the gun up very nicely I have incorporated the slide and take up screw on the redesigned Marlin 90 that I will bring out , all you do is tighten the ole girl up when she needs it .

As for the top lever being right of center this is another issue with this gun that can be tossed out the window , center is just fine and does not mean she is worn out in the least it means she is worn in , I will explain , anyone with a mechanical inclination can look at the Para-Solids of my prints and see the locking is not like the other Over Unders the Length of the locking block is what makes the top lever go to the right of center NOT THE WEAR ON THE ENGAEMENT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK

I know everyone including myself thinks she is UGLY but she is one of the finest shooting irons I have ever picked up and the SIMPLEST of designs which will I hate to say will out live many a so called FINE GUNS

Being a Machinist I have a very high regard for very fine Metal Craftsmanship but will ceade to loose tolorances being more useful in the real world than extream precision metal fit .

Just ask any Nam Vet what gun kept them alive 100% of the time I think you will find the ones that seen the most action carried an AK , SKS, AND OR A COLT .45 This has been shared with me over and over so many times I cant count ,

My bets are on the Marlin 90

Sorry Dean about your loss but I hope this helps you and others in your search for one of the Ultimate guns from the 30's

Regards Charles
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Good Move 16'er. I'm also a machinist and I used to be a welder and from the pictures; you'd be trying to polish a turd on this one. Hope seller makes good on the refund.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 am  Reply with quote

Hello Dean:

I called the guy , and offered him $200 shipping included and he said he would take it . Soon as you get the gun back to him he will be shipping it this way , we will have another project then to work on in the future .

Regards Charles
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Best of luck with it Charles..

I'm still on the look out for a good field condition model 90 in 16 bore...