16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New guy on the block
powderburn
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all, I've been a lurker on the board for sometime now and thought I'd register and post some of my pearls of wisdom every now and then. A middle aged accountant, I'm a life long 16ga. fan. My first shotgun was a 16ga. 870 that I traded a pony saddle to in about 1968. thru H.S. I shot a truck load of doves, rabbits, a few quail and a grouse or two and about as many woodcock. I foolishly traded my 870 . Over the years I have had several other 16's most notably a model 12 and an auto 5 . Currently I have two 16's my Dad's old 40'S vintage Ithaca 37 deluxe and a white lightning citori. I also have a 870 12ga. a mossberg 500 20ga. and an old Iver Johnson champion with a solid rib and checkered stock. I am using the little Iver Johnson more and more these days as it's a nostalgia thing with me. My first gun was my grandads which was just like it but is not in very good shape and was retired when I got my 870 back in 1968. After fooling with guns for nearly 40 years I finally found a replacement just like it and I am enjoying shooting it.

Don't do a lot of bird and small game hunting these days having concentrated on deer the past few years with a group of buddies. Lately though I have been invited to a couple of dove hunts that remind me of my HS days when a group of us use to have shoots on dairy farms that were plentiful back then and permission was easy to gain. I have really enjoyed these outings. Anyway I'll be around and hope to be talking to you soon.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:20 am  Reply with quote

Powder,
Welcome to this great site and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. Thanks too for your interesting post Smile I too have an old Iver J champion that I keep out in my equipment barn to ward off those invading cottontails Laughing The old gun makes lots of lunches during the year.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Powderburn, We're glad to have you join us. When you decide to pattern your citori, I bet it's shooting high. My 425 12 bore shot almost a foot high at 30 yards. I crippled and missed afew birds before I discovered my comb was too high and lowered it till I was on. Wink
powderburn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

XVI'er thanks for the response. Do you mind me asking what you shot before going to the Citori. I have always felt the Remington stocks fit me well. Interesting that you shoot high as the straight away angles are the ones that I hit most consistantly so I'm guessing your prediction of my outcome will be right.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard PB! Pearls of Wisdom are always welcome. Very Happy

Rooster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Powderburn,

I am on here almost daily, though I do not post often. It is a great site dedicated to a great guage and your pearls will be looked for.

Rooster
wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome. Do cast your pearls of wisdom before us- heaven knows we need them.

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
powderburn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Captain_Billy
I was really tickled to get my old Champion. Like I say it is a pretty neat vrsion with the rib and a nice schnable (sp?) to the checkered forend. It is probably a trap version of the standard gun. With my grandads old gun I now have a matching pair that I can have my manservent carry and load for me as a proper gentleman would :^)

I was about 10 when my dad passed his fahers gun to me. It is pretty pitted and even had a swollen barrel but with low power shells a gunsmith said to go ahead and shoot it which I did since it was all I hadfor the 1st 5 years or so I hunted. Like I said I retired it as soon as I got something else as I would hate to split the barrel etc. The only other one I've ever seen that was in much better shape was when I was about 12 and saw it in a shop . The guy told me he would sell it to me for $15 bucks but that my dad would have to come and buy it. We were visiting my maternal grandparents and I ran al the way to the house to ask dad to come and buy it . I told him that I had the $ from my lawn mowing and if he would buy it I'd pay him when I got home. Of course I got the " "You don't need that thing you've got one. You need to save your money" speach. Needless to say I didn't get it. Also don't you know it was a 16 ga. I have thought about that gun for over 35 years. Anyway I found another 12 in a shop a couple of years ago that was in good shooting shape tight but sort of rough in the varnish and the barrel was turning to a patina. I refinished the stock and the bore cleaned up like new so now I am back to where I started. Though some people look at me sort of funny when I show up with it I kind of enjoy holding it and remembering the outings in the woods with my dad and hearing the stories of how my grandad bought his during the depression for $5 because dad threw a fit on him when he saw it (somehow dad forgot that when I wanted the 16ga) and how it accounted for a lot of squirrel and rabbit dinners back on the farm.