16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bottom line on Citori problem?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I've already posted about what I'm seeing and hearing about ammo issues. I'm in the business of quality control, so I have some insight into the problems.

In today's world, most stuff is made by the lowest bidder. A lot of it is being made off shore. There are time restraints and deadlines to meet. Some are unrealistic. In this type of environment, QC is always the first casulty.

I expect the problem to get worse and not better until the consumers finally put their foot down and stop buying the junk the international corporate bean counting clowns keep trying to foist off on them.

As far as the Browning Citori is concerned, the gun has had a long, successful track record. I think what has changed is the unrealistic sheduling Miroku was faced with for this last batch. The pressure was put on them to have the guns ready by the 2006 hunting season. They were, but the price was that some problematic guns got shipped before Miroku could make them right. We are seeing the results now. Hopefully, Browning USA will see those bad ones are fixed or replaced.

I've not shot any of the latest batch. However, I've owned some from 2004 on back. None of the 16 gauge guns have had one problem. Any other gun I've ever needed fixed or replaced was done to my satisfaction. I'm one fussy dude when it comes to my guns too.
shinbone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

TJC - I think we are in agreement. Generally, any gun that consistently fires is a good gun, regardless of whether it needed adjustment or fixing to do so (assuming constant adjustment/fixing is not required). My post would have been clearer if I had said "I would consider any gun to be defective/broken . . . ." I was trying to generally point out (with albeit clumsy language) that I don't think the preferred solution to FTFs in a gun with a design known for reliability is to avoid shooting the ammo type which induces the FTF.

--shinbone

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

shinbone wrote:
TJC - I think we are in agreement. Generally, any gun that consistently fires is a good gun, regardless of whether it needed adjustment or fixing to do so (assuming constant adjustment/fixing is not required). My post would have been clearer if I had said "I would consider any gun to be defective/broken . . . ." I was trying to generally point out (with albeit clumsy language) that I don't think the preferred solution to FTFs in a gun with a design known for reliability is to avoid shooting the ammo type which induces the FTF.

--shinbone

Wink Wink Wink Wink

Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have also put many thousands of rounds through my steel receivered Browning Citoris in 12, 20, & .410 bore, with only one problem whatsoever, and I think in retrospect that the problem with that gun was simply me trappng the trigger. It is only my 16 gauge Lightning Feather that has had a problem, and this gun has had only 200-250 rounds through it over four bird seasons, and I am the original owner. I'm taking it to my smith on Wednesday and will mention the inertia block adjustment and firing pin replacement, then leave it in his reliable hands.

Even though Browning may still honor the warranty I will not send them another gun. About 8 years ago I sent them a Citori to check the triggers. The gun came back supposedly repaired but no explanation as to the work that was done on it, and the barrels had nice new scratches on them that most certainly were not there when I sent the gun in. I resolved to become the "squeeky wheel" until they resolved the matter to my satisfaction. After considerable effort and time on my part to be the biggest P.I.T.A. to them as I could possibly be, they finally agreed to send me a new replacement gun. I have no intention of ever subjecting myself to that again.
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:14 am  Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, for you guys who have had problems with 16ga. Citori shotguns--from where/whom did you purchase them?
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

I bought mine new in box from a FFL dealer in near Terra Haute, Indiana.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:46 am  Reply with quote

Mine came from somewhere in the MidWest in Feb of '05.

shinbone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:16 am  Reply with quote

Brand new in February, 2007, from Reed's Sporting Goods in Minnesota.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Where the gun came from shouldn't matter. Where it originally (which factory) came from may give a few clues. Also, I would compare serial #'s. Maybe Browning had a defective run on some part or another.
Maybe people should post derial #'s.

Just a thought.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"