16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fell in Love at Cabela's
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Stopped by Cabela's today and took a stroll through the firearms section. As I went by the clearance rack and froze a Browning Citori Lighting 16ga. marked down to $1400. Boy she was sweet 26" barrels and didn't seem to heavy for a o/u. Were these built on a 16ga frame or 12? Only bad thing stock has a cast and I'm a lefty. The gun sure fit me nice except the barrel wanted to point to the right due to the cast. Wonder if my wife would notice if I raided my kids college fund.
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:42 am  Reply with quote

When Bill Hanus was selling them, he said they were on a 16 ga frame. Mine sure seems smaller than my friends 12 ga.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 am  Reply with quote

did it have a regular or english stock Question Rolling Eyes
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:53 am  Reply with quote

They are built on a 16ga frame, and if it's a Lightning, it would have a round knob.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:57 am  Reply with quote

FYI, the 16 ga. Citori is built on what amounts to a slightly modified 20 ga. frame. Miroku adds .050" thickness to the sides of the action block. This allows sufficient width to accomodate the slightly wider barrel mono-block. The gun actualy weighs slightly lighter than their average 20 ga. and has a better between the hands feel.

The stock and forend have the bit of extra wood on the sides to accomodate the action block. The action depth is pure 20 ga. which puts the bottom barrel closer to your hand. I think that is where that little extra bit of pointability comes from that the 16 ga Citori seems to exhibit.

Plus, Browning expects their Citori O/U guns to shoot both patterns to the same point of impact to a maximum difference of 4" at 40 yards. Most shoot well inside that spec. Browning also backs this matter up better than any other foreign or domestic gun maker in my experience. I've had a few new double guns with cross-eyed barrels. Only Browning was willing to set things right without a protracted arguement or incessant stonewalling. This is a concideration most new gun buyers overlook. It is the risk they assume when buying a new or used "bargain double". Its a vital one.

You might inquire if Cabela's can arrange to have the stock bent for you. If so, I'd highly recommmend this gun. It is very well made, has excellent handling characteristics, and, concidering that it comes with choke tubes to boot, it is one of the most versatile 16 ga. guns around. Browning really backs their guns up with good warrenty service in case of any problems, big or small. So does Cabela's. You can't go wrong with their service either.