16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off topic - I'm hacked; should I be?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:49 am  Reply with quote

This board is one of two that's "home" to me, so even though this is more fishing related, here goes:

Several years ago I purchased a fly rod from a major retailer. It was their best house brand rod, a really well made and nicely finished rod (I always heard Loomis made it, but not sure). I bought it on sale, but one reason I bought it is that it still included their unconditional warranty which states that the rod will be repaired or replaced, no questions asked.

Well, the rod broke, and I returned it. They immediately told me they don't offer repairs (so why their warranty says that is beyond me) and that the rod is discontinued from their line, so they were "evaluating" the situation. I assumed they'd replace it with whatever was most comparable in their current line.

Three weeks later I received a letter stating that they would give me full value of what I paid for it toward other merchandise. The letter didn't even state the amount; I had to call them. They had looked up what I paid, and the amount is far less than what it will take to replace it with a current comparable rod. To their credit, they also said they'd give me a refund of that amount.

I argued that's not what their warranty says, its says repaired or replaced, and if they intend to refund the purchase amount that's what they should say. She was a nice young lady, and just the messenger; she said that was the best they could do.

So should I be hacked? I guess I can't complain if they're willing to give me back my full purchase price, but my argument is that I got a good deal on a nice rod, and if it hadn't failed I'd still be fishing with a nice rod. As it is, I'll have to replace it with a lesser rod or put a bunch of money with it to get another that's comparable.

I'm thinking of sending a letter to the head of their customer service department and to the owner or CEO, if I can find out those names; a teacher of my daughter's used to say "letters are power". So what say you? Are they being fair and should I take the money and be happy, or should I plead my case?

Sorry to be so long winded; thanks for listening.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Hard call here. They will not honor thier original warranty as stated but are willing to replace it for the price you paid. If I was in this I would take the money of the original price and add to it to buy what I wanted. I would inform by letter whoever, that I am not pleased with the fact they do not honor thier warranties as written. Being they are willing to cough up the original price does not leave much argument. Sad
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

So in essence, they're gonna give you all your money back whether in product or refund? Sounds like a confusing way to solve an issue

If you have the option, go visit them personally. Get a rapport going with the manager and work it out. If not, call them and a get a rapport going with the manager and work it out...

If its the place in Maine, it should be no questions asked. If its the place in MN, it should be similar. If its the O place in VT, they owe you for the BS.

Calm down, reach back and get your panties out of a bunch - its just not worth the headache/gray hair/high blood pressure. Yeah, its a PITA but whatever, its not a loved one in the hospital, its just a fancy stick...

And in the end if they don't do right by you, let them know and maybe let them know that not only have they lost you as a customer, they've gained you as a negative advertiser...

Sorry if I come across harshly its just the I have a loved one currently in and out of the hospital and my perspective on what's really important has changed considerably - material things are a close 5rd on the list of importance.

Good luck and I hope it works out well for all involved.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:19 am  Reply with quote

It is unreasonable to expect them to keep a warehouse full of every rod they ever sold so they can replace them. It is reasonable for them to offer you (at no cost) the current version of the same rod or a full credit toward the rod of your choice.

Jeff
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

fin

Take the money and run. I doubt its worth the aggravation just to try and make a point.

Don't know how long ago you bought the rod or what you paid, but for the same money today you may be able to get similar or better quality from another manufacturer. Unlike shotguns fly rod designs truly have been and still are improving. What you got in a $600 fly rod 5+ years ago you can probably find for less money today. I'd also suggest you not buy a private label(house) brand rod. That way if necessary you are dealing with the manufacturer and you are less likely to have this problem again. Any decent rod maker will replace an entire rod with a current model if they are not able to replace the broken section. If the rod shaft breaks it can't be repaired.

My experience from working in a fly shop tells me that you should be safe following this advice.

P.S. If you take the refund that means you can go toy shopping. Also, wait a month or two and you might find a nice end of season bargain. Smile

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Take the money and buy a TFO rod with a lifetime warrantly. Then write a letter to their management about your displeasure with their refusal to honor the warranty. And move on.

My 2 cents - - Hc

MGF
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I don't know, dude. They're offering full refund...about as good as it gets these days. They're not going above and beyond, but they're not leaving you out in the cold, either. I'd take the refund and move on. Aggravations are endless, and life's short.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

What, is it me, or does no one see that this isn't 16ga related???? Razz Oh it is me Shocked Shocked Fin, if's it's someplace near here, I'll go up and have sprocket kick someones ass for ya. Cool Cool

Now lets get back on topic and talk about my little 28ga rasch that just came back from the smith. Damm, wrong site AGAIN

Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Fin 2, I had a similar problem with Orvis. I broke a Silver Label TL that was discontinued. I finally called Orvis myself and insisted on a new fly rod if they couldn't fix the old one. They finally sent me the next best rod in their new line. Be persistant and tell them what you expect from them.
NANTAN2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I guess my question would be..."How much money are we talking about here? $100, $200? I had a similar experience with Browning and my new 525 sporting shotgun...but in that case we are talking about $3,000.00. I had to put up a stink, and in the end they are giving me a brand new shotgun(hasn't arrived yet). I think I'd take the full refund, add to it and buy a better rod. Wink

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 am  Reply with quote

That's what I did; I have a Winston BIIx 9' 6wt on the way Very Happy. But that's the easy way out; I still believe in principles, and I don't feel that the company lived up to their promise. That's not fair to me, and it's not fair to the next customer who has a problem.

I wrote a letter to the Senior VP of Retail Operations. He didn't bother to respond; I got a letter back from the same person who responded originally saying their position was unchanged. So now I've written a letter to the two founders of the company (who are still on the board of directors) and copied the CEO and the same VP. We'll see what they have to say, if anything.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook