16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I am a lucky man . . .
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps a Marlin 90 in 16ga and a few hunts thrown in would be the best of all worlds ????

Regards Charles
shinbone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Charles - I agree that sometimes it is better to spend the money shooting than picking up gear, but I have a hankering for a new gun. Plus . . .

As I posted in another thread (titled "Citori Problem") concerning problems with certain Citori 16ga guns not firing the lower barrel, my practically new (325 total rounds) Citori 16ga Feather will be going back to Browning to fix a randomly non-firing lower barrel. Aarrgghh!

Light firing pin strikes is the culprit, but I don't know why I am getting light strikes. I just discovered this problem on Monday on the clays field, and it persists despite a good cleaning and lub of the receiver, with special attention paid to the firing pins.

Since I am now facing the hunting season without a 16ga, I have renewed my interest in getting a new gun (although I will be using the Citori 12ga until I once again have a 16ga). Since I am 16ga-less without my Citori 16ga, I am especially interested in a 16ga (for which the hopefully fixed Citori 16ga will be a backup gun). Also, now that I am desperate, my budget has increased substantially.

I like what I hear about the Merkel 1620, but I hate to commit to a SxS without a little more experience with them to be sure a SxS would work for me.

Can anyone recommend a new or used 16ga O/U for upland game use for less than ~$5500?

Thanks!

-shinbone

Last edited by shinbone on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Boy, if you have 5.5k to spend or thereabouts, then how about a Grulla sxs? That would be quite the upgrade, although they are closer to $6k.

I can't imagine spending that much on an o/u, when I could have a sxs of the gods. There is no finer bird gun in the world than a finely balanced 16ga. sxs, but, to each his own.
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Shinbone

I would repeat the B. Rizzini's from earlier in this thread. If you're not in a hurry you could custom order one for less than $5,500.00. If you're in a hurry call them and see what's available.

A Merkel 2016 is a little beyond your price range, but as far as I know they have been discontinued so someone might be looking to unload one. Or call GSI and see if they have any left. Can't say I have ever seen a used one for sale.

Here's a couple guns listed on Gunbroker:

If you're looking for a backup to the citori try this one
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79606064

Here's a new Rizzini at a good price but I believe it was built on a 12ga frame(newly manufactured Rizzini 16ga are built on a 16ga frame)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79752703

nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

nutcase wrote:
A Merkel 2016 is a little beyond your price range, but as far as I know they have been discontinued so someone might be looking to unload one. Or call GSI and see if they have any left. Can't say I have ever seen a used one for sale.

Rolling Eyes
No sooner do I type it and what do I find:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/View/_976921851.aspx

jig
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

If I was yo I'd buy that 16GA Osborne with 30" bbls on the classified page in heartbeat. It will be very unique and a great addition to your collection. You would still even have money left over to open the chokes if you wanted.

The Merkel 1620 is another good option but I got to handle one the other day and came away less than impressed. Don't get me wrong I think they are nice guns. But for that kind of money, there are just too many other used European SXS's Id be on the hunt for. You need a SXS for your collection and that English Osborne would be unbelivably cool. Just over 6Lbs and 30" bbls, you gotta love it. If you havent already, you also should invest in some reloading equipment - the best money I ever spent. The return is not found in the cost savings over factory fodder, rather it is found in the frigging fantastic quality shells you can roll on your own. Case in point: I found a new low pressure/low recoil load last week that just absolutley knocks birds cold, but is easy on my old Belgian Guild SXS. There are two kinds of reloaders out there 1. Cheap skates that reload just to save money 2. Pursuers of the perfect load at which no cost is too high.
There is also a third type: They reload just for fun and really don't care about putting together the highest quality, most effective specialized loads available.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

Shin, I had a 1620, and liked it well enough, but I prefer everything thats replaced it. The karl and the rasch(16 and 2Cool, which together were just a tad more than your budget.
If it were my money I'd jump on that osborne, or look around till something strikes your fancy. I cna't tell from this screen where your at, but I thought it was Va, the Vintigers are haveing some big shindig at pintail point the end of the month, with lots of vendors.

For o/u in 16 I'd pick a rinzini, one of those Fair guns, and have a ton of cash left over

Last edited by hunshatt on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

shinbone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt - I am in northern Virginia. I will be at the Vintagers this September.

Maybe I should expand my search to include a nice 20ga. Maybe a Guerini 20ga would fit the bill . . .

--shinbone

shinbone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Okay . . .

I think I have narrowed my choices down to either a Merkel 1620 or a Guerini Tempio in 20ga (Guerini doesn't make a 16ga, yet). I have a preference for a Prince of Wales grip with a single trigger (I know, some say this would be sacrilege on a SxS). I'll be at the Vintagers, and hopefully can handle an example of each.

Given that this is the 16ga forum, I expect some bias towards the Merkel 1620 but . . .

Anyone got any comments on which one to get and why? The gun will be for upland birds (mostly pheasant, with some grouse too), as well as about 1 day/month sporting clays to keep the ol' trigger finger rust free.

--shinbone

cvdawley
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

I love the 1620E I recently picked up, light beautiful and a real pointer for me. A little fancier then the 1620. I got a never fired gun from Ivory Beads for 4100. Charlie
grousewoods
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Skinbone, I will have to put in my 2 cents. I have more then one 16ga some of the ones you have heard about and some not, I have found that I shoot the AYA grade 2 the best. You can have money left over. I bought mine used and spent $2700.00 it's choked IC/M may what to pick one up and see how it feels! This is not the highes grade 16ga in the safe but it shoot right for me!
shinbone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:58 am  Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the great suggestions. After reading everyone's comments, I think I need to shoot a SxS a bunch of times to see if I like that barrel configuration. I already know I do like how a splinter forend fits into my hand. If I like the SxS, then I'll go for the Merkel 1620 since I am leaning towards a 16ga anyway, otherwise it'll be the Guerini Tempio.

--shinbone