16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Found a 16/ 870 Wingmaster at the Gun Show today
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Hope I did not make a mistake, this piece was begging me to take it home. And sense the price was right I obliged. The date code places it as being a 1954 piece, a plain version.

Now here comes the kicker and I need some help. The Full choke barrel was cut back and a Weaver compensator is installed with I believe to be an external choke, Kinda like the Lyman Cutts external choke system. However the choke tube is much different. The only mark on the choke is: 1/2, what ever that is.

The question is do I keep this on the barrel and try and find some antique chokes ? Or do I send the barrel to Polychoke, cut the barrel to 22" and make a supurb quail & Dove truck gun ?
The barrel has been cut to 24" and with the choke & Comp. total length is 27"

The piece is a 90% gun as far as condition. And I paid $100.00 for the piece.
He wanted more but agreed the piece was butchered at the muzzle.

Sooooooo what do I do ? Confused

Lets here from the Choir Smile
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I am guessing modified????I hate those external chokes that resemble a catalytic converter Evil or Very Mad I would cut the bbl and have internal chokes installed--you will then have a fine field gun Wink
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:53 am  Reply with quote

I dislike short barreled shotguns for hunting. I need barrel length to help my swing and follow thru. On repeaters I like 26 inch barrels for all around use. I would leave it as is and give it a try. If you do good work with it why change?
16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:22 am  Reply with quote

I would fire it first to see if you could live with it as is. You may be suprised.
My second choice would be to look for another barrel at gun shows. They do show up.
I think for $100. you did ok.
16crazy
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 am  Reply with quote

My one short barreled gun is a 21" Remington model 17 pump, which, I find a little hard on the ears. The blast didn't bother me until I got older, and I've picked up a longer second barrel to use because of it. Maybe you could remove the weird choke device, and have more typical tubes put into it. Great deal on a shooter, by the way.
Best,
Ted

Tulsey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:40 am  Reply with quote

You might want to check this site. http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/index.htm

Looks like you have a modified choke tube. If you can live with the look another more open $35 tube would fix you up for most anything without much more invested..
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:51 am  Reply with quote

The choke tube you have is modified. If you will call Numrich Corporation ( the number is on their website) they sell the Weaver choke tubes for $5.20 each and show to have I/C, I/M, F, E/F tubes. If you use their search engine, it will help you find the parts and their #s.

An inexpensive alternative.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you very much, now I have to get this tube removed from the housing. I will squirt some Kroil around the tube and housing. It may take awhile also some heat from my heat Gun should do the trick.
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Weaver choke devoices were the most streamlined and easy to change of them all. (Poly Choke excepted as it does not have tubes so to speak) All you need is a proper sized piece of drill rod to loosen the choke and spin it off. I would leave it as is. The extra hard aluminum Weaver tubes pattern very well. The "cage" does offer some recoil reduction. (not a big deal with the 16)

cheers Darryl